Which button would you choose at the chance of becoming a millionaire?

Originally published at: Which button would you choose at the chance of becoming a millionaire? | Boing Boing

8 Likes

That’s too easy. I know how to spend a million dollars (after saving a fraction for taxes). I would get into trouble with fifty big ones.

33 Likes

I know anyone can easily make a million in a lifetime given decent salary, but 50MM is unlikely.

6 Likes

It’s posed as a question of “mathematics” but that’s really not fair because the rational choice depends on an individual’s situation.

If you are financially stable, maybe even within reach of acquiring $1 Million over the course of your life as things are already, then the financially prudent thing to do is probably to roll the dice for the $50 Million.

But a poor person would be perfectly rational to choose a guarantee of financial security over a 50% chance of great wealth, particularly if that person had children or other dependents whose lives could be at risk through continued poverty.

83 Likes

Well put! Who said math can’t involve circumstance? :slight_smile:

7 Likes

3 Likes

One million, even what’s left after taxes, is all we need to retire tomorrow and live in the manner we’ve grown accustomed to…

Indoors and eating.

Even 200 grand would get us over the hump to social security, medicare, and our retirement account. We ain’t greedy or fancy living. Just want to live indoors and feed the cats.

If I was much much younger and able to keep earning I might take the chance but not today.

36 Likes

I would take the guaranteed 1 million. Sure it’d be nice to possibly have 50 times more but at least 1 mil is still enough to get me a house and have enough left over to save or invest.

27 Likes

Right? It’s either guaranteed life-changing money, or a 50% shot at life changing money. How is that a hard choice?

25 Likes

For me its also a question of how much money do you think will make you happy? Yeah having 50mil would be amazing but i can easily imagine myself being content with 1mil

15 Likes

Do I have to pay taxes on it?

5 Likes

I wish I can retire on a million.

As a minority in the country, I wish I can live in more reasonably price part of the country, but it’s not feasible for some of us without exposing us to discrimnation. This is especially so because of the recent inflation.

9 Likes

:roll_eyes:

10 Likes

Oh come on. I said lifetime. And it involves top ramen and investment :wink:

4 Likes

I clicked it and didn’t get the money. I want my million dollars.

37 Likes

Which currency?

4 Likes

Both are life changing, just in different ways.

50 million is quit your job today and never work again money.

1 million is move up your retirement plans to possibly retire in your 50s instead of 60s.

If I was in my 20s, I might take a chance at the big money. But these days, I would totally take the bankable one million.

11 Likes

“Investment” requires an income in excess of one’s basic needs.

20 Likes

Same.
I’m just a few years from retirement (knock on wood) the million would move it up to tomorrow.
Our only debt is our house, we both have retirement savings and we have no offspring. Easy decision.

6 Likes

50/50 for me easy. I need the action!

4 Likes