Which country's Emergency Alert System siren is the most alarming?

The wibbly-wobbly sound at the end of the UK’s Protect and Survive videos (honestly, they’re a scream) put the fear of god into me as a kid:

2 Likes

In Hawaii, hurricane/tsunami sirens are tested first weekday of every month. The alert that happened a couple of years ago for inbound Korean missiles was pushed out over cell phones in addition, and while a mistake, scared the bejeebers out of most folks.

2 Likes

The fire sirens in the village I’m originally from (and where my parents still live) are being tested every single Saturday.

In larger cities it’s more like once every three months but those are the normal disaster sirens, they don’t call out firemen with sirens like they do in the countryside.

ETA: of course that conditioning from childhood means that for me fire sirens conjour up a weekend feeling more than anything…

2 Likes

On our little coastal island they test the hurricane/etc. warning system once per month. It is a siren/words combo that is fairly normal siren-sound, then you just hear words like a Peanuts comic adult speaking; totally undiscernible even outdoors a block away from the speakers.

3 Likes

In the U.S., the Emergency Alert System is tested weekly by every broadcast station.

Tornadoes are common in my locale so the tornado sirens (a long, steady tone) are tested every Wednesday at noon, as long as the weather’s clear. We have had one real tornado siren this season so far.

My vote is for Malaysia from part one followed closely by Greece from part two. Something about Malaysia was absolutely terrifying to me. The one from Greece did have a lot of authority though.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.