Which of these charming gents is Virginia governor Ralph Northam?

I’m just gobsmacked at the republicans demanding him to resign. Just the hypocrisy… is mind blowing.

15 Likes

You think that’s some trick photography? I dunno for 1984 that would take some effort.

2 Likes

This also begs the question “what kind of editor would even allow a picture this offensive to be included in the final yearbook?”

45 Likes

It’s been almost a full week since the last statewide official got found out for donning blackface – last week, the Republican SoS in FL resigned almost immediately after that came out.

9 Likes

“There are more old drunks than there are old doctors” is used in this George/Willie duet, so at least he has some taste.

5 Likes

Quite breath-taking, isn’t it? From the Washington Post:

Jack Wilson, chairman of the Republican Party of Virginia said that if Northam had dressed in either blackface or a KKK robe, he should step down.

“Racism has no place in Virginia,” Wilson said in a statement. “These pictures are wholly inappropriate. If Governor Northam appeared in blackface or dressed in a KKK robe, he should resign immediately.”

“Racism has no place in Virginia.” Yeah, right. He must be talking about a different Virginia than the one I know.

40 Likes

Good ol’ boys will be good ol’ boys.

5 Likes

You know what? I’m glad they’re saying that now. Not only because they’re right in this case, but because the next time one of their guys gets caught doing this (probably before the end of the week) we can use their own words against them.

27 Likes

Has that ever worked?

39 Likes

At least it wasn’t a MAGA hat. /s

8 Likes

One of the comments:

As a Republican, I am not sure what all the fuss is about.

:joy:

ETA: Another:

That guy will do anything to appeal to Republican voters.

18 Likes

It’s nice to know that as divided as this country is along party lines, Democrats and Republicans can be brought together by their candidates’ inexplicable love of blackface.

11 Likes

Now hold on, soon to be ex-Gov. Northam has released a statement saying that he’s very sorry. I know I feel better and I think he’s suffered enough. /s

11 Likes

IMHO, the outfits are offensive; the picture is exhibit A. No picture, no resignation.

It’s useful for highlighting their hypocrisy, but the truth is that the hard Right don’t care. They sacrificed principle and a moral compass for winning long ago.

24 Likes

Hat + Red = Hatred.

21 Likes

the right to life crowd wants to get rid of northram by any means necessary.

however, he is in the pic

4 Likes

I do find it interesting that he admits to being in the photo but won’t fess up to which he was.

As if we’re not going to find out anyway.

5 Likes

“His whole life has been about exactly the opposite and that’s what you need to examine, not something that occurred 30 years ago,” said Senate Minority Leader Richard L. Saslaw (D-Fairfax). “While it’s in very poor taste, I would think no one in the General Assembly who would like their college conduct examined. I would hate to have to go back and examine my two years in the Army. Trust me. I was 18 years old and I was a handful, OK? His life since then has been anything but. It’s been a life of helping people, and many times for free.”

I was 13 in 1980 when I discovered a photo of my dad (a pastor who supported desegregation) dressed as Aunt Jemima for a risque Halloween party. Even I knew then that it was wrong, and it’s changed my view of him forever.
Life isn’t a game, and there’s no takebacks. If Northram was truly sorry, he’d have owned that shit long ago, and worked doubly hard to sacrifice his privilege and entitlement.

31 Likes

After a hurricane ravaged my grandfathers home some of us were salvaging what we could and found on top of a china cabinet KKK memorabilia and confederate stuff. Shock was an understatement.

He was a man of the cloth as well.

The relationship suffered until his death.

30 Likes

Agree entirely.

“Growing up and seeing your parents’ flaws is like losing your religion. I don’t believe in God anymore. I don’t believe in my father either.”

― Nicola Yoon

Unfortunately, far too many people apply unlimited forgiveness to their family and friends while reserving absolutely zero for anyone else.

I also enjoy this little bullcrap in the quote you chose:

I would hate to have to go back and examine my two years in the Army. Trust me. I was 18 years old and I was a handful

No one goes to med school at 18. Med school is for 21+ year old students, if society should entrust you to cut on people they can also hold you to the standard that you shouldn’t be running around in a hood or in blackface.

15 Likes