Which PS4 games should I know about?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/05/which-ps4-games-should-i-know.html

2 Likes

Transistor is pretty good indie rpg that I got as a freebie on PS Plus quite some time ago. Short, but made for replayability.

But i’ve been mostly playing Destiny 2 on it for the past few years. Not sure that you’d be into a lite mmo/fps though.

I enjoyed the demo for Nier Automata but for some reason I haven’t got around to picking the game up.

1 Like

Outer Wilds! Total happy mutant kind of game, exploring a solar sytem that’s falling apart in increments of 22 minutes or less. Great for days when your concentration may not be all there, getting those little dopamine hits for every new piece of the puzzle you figure out.
Oh, and its fully non-violent too

10 Likes

I’m here to second this recommendation. I went into it knowing very little and was filled with delight as the complexities of the game were slowly revealed. Felt like I’d stumbled into something really special. Even thought I played both Outer Wilds and Outer Worlds, I still have to google it to remember which one is which.

3 Likes

Throwing in two whole-hearted recommendations for God of War (the most recent one) and Horizon Zero Dawn.

7 Likes

Red Dead II is a gd masterpiece, and has the best horse in gaming. Mad Max and Days Gone are way more fun than they look. Assassin’s Creed Odyssey is exciting to explore ancient Greece, but hard to finish because of bloat. I loved it, even through I dont expect to “finish” it.

After that, in no particular order, Control, Ghost of Tsushima, the Tomb Raider games, and Metal Gear Solid V.

2 Likes

Seconding Horizon Zero Dawn

5 Likes

Nier: Automata, Control, Spider-man, God of War, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, The Last of Us II, Ghost of Tsushima, Metal Gear Solid V, and The Witcher 3. I think most of these meet your criteria. Enjoy!

I’ve also seen a couple of people mention The Outer Wilds which I cannot recommend enough. It is a very unique and incredible game.

1 Like

Horizon Zero Dawn, Last of Us 1 & 2, God of War, Shadow of the Colossus, Last Guardian, Journey, Borderlands 2. There are also a ton of smaller downloadable games you could look into, but of those i recommend Stardew Valley if you don’t have a PC to play it with.

The PS exclusives like God of War, Spider-Man, Horizon ZD, Uncharted… are all worth checking out. Wait for a sale and many of the older exclusives are available for under $20. The smaller studio and import stuff is great - games like Gravity Rush and the Last Guardian. Pick up a discounted PS Plus member ship ($35-40 per year on deals sites) and you’ll get a couple of games a month, addition discounts in the store, and online play. Since the PS4 is at end of life the PS Plus games are getting better (unless you already own them lol

1 Like

So far most games mentioned are 3D open world. I’d go as far as that the current must-play is the recently released console version of CrossCode (that is, if a futuristic 2D Zelda-like ARPGs in a vast lore-rich world with loads of puzzles sounds good :smiley:)

I am curious about this idea that one “finishes” Fallout4. It must be the mods on PC that keep me going.

Came for Rocket League, did not see, left disappoint. It’s CAR SOCCER people!

3 Likes

Tetris Effect is a good one. No Man’s Sky is good now, but it’s essentially endless and that can be intimidating.

1 Like

Thirding it… it’s an open-world masterpiece that actually manages to steer clear (largely) of dictating how you solve many of the problems in the game.

That said - if you don’t like side-quests, exploration, collection and hunting down world lore of the sake of it then you might not get as much out of it as we did.

My SO and I have just finished playing Rise of the Tomb Raider and really enjoyed it. It was free on PS+ and I might have been a little disappointed if I’d played a AAA price for it as the main plot is fairly short (even with DLC) but it was enjoyable and felt like a modernisation of the franchise rather than a complete do-over.

1 Like

Days Gone. Seriously underrated stealth open world, set in a gorgeously rendered Oregon backcountry. Beautiful creepy edge of your seat carnage with a motorcycle as your steed. What’s not to like?!

Seconding the Witcher (and it’s cheap now!)

2 Likes

I don’t have a PS4 (yet), but one exclusive I’ve been itching to play is Bloodborne. I like the lore of Dark Souls but find the slower pace of combat frustrating, especially with frequent deaths/restarts. When I played a bit of Bloodborne at a friend’s house, the combat clicked much better, all in a dark, grisly world a la Dark Souls. Also Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain, though those aren’t exclusives.

Bloodborn is amazing, i think its my favorite lore-wise of all the Souls games. It is definitely challenging but its a bit more fast paced than the typical Souls games (with exception of Sekiro). I also recommend Sekiro though i found it by far the most punishing of all the Souls games, still need to finish it.

3 Likes