Which rock is classic?

I grew up on classic rock, but after years away from radio in general, it’s depressing to turn to the classic rock stations and find them playing the same old shit. Hell, some of the performers are still working. At least play some of their new stuff.

I don’t know about the US, but music radio died in the UK when John Peel did. I still remember he once chose to start his BBC music show with a record by Loftgroover (the video is a typical Loftgroover DJ set). John Peel would have been about 60 at the time.

Try getting that on a mainstream music playlist!

Even Zane Lowe is done now, I heard.

Last time I tried listening to UK radio the only thing I ended up listening to was Jarvis Cocker’s show on Radio 6.

You know things are bad (or you’re old) if you listen to Radio 1 and suddenly Chris Moyles doesn’t seem so bad. My biggest problem with BBC radio was that I was never going to be able to accept that music I might want to listen to was going to be on Radio 2. I have a visceral dislike of that station. It’s for old farts. So I ended up just with Radio 4. Also for old farts, but still…

My parents only ever (and have only ever) listened to Radio 3 - well, except when Test Match Special was on Radio 4 LW.

I haven’t really listened to music radio in ten years. Even the people who have been put forward as successors to Peel haven’t lived up to his standards, usually by no-one remembering John Peel’s rant in the early 90s about there being more to music than white boys with guitars.

Things must be bad then. I could never listen to Moyles, it seemed like every time I heard him he was being transphobic. It was probably bad luck but it’s hard to forgive and forget that.

Same here. Even though I know it is playing more recent music that it used to, my reaction towards it is like Vyvyan’s towards The Good Life.

Hey! There’s some good comedy on there sometimes.

And Just a Minute. :slight_smile:

Also, 3/4 of The Mary Whitehouse Experience, but no Rob Newman. :frowning:

And fuck me, The Now Show needs livening up, Brigstocke aside. The News Quiz is practically fossilized.

OTOH, this is how I know I’m too fucking old, I still want my comedy to be Mark Thomas, Richard Herring, Stewart Lee et al.

2 Likes

The Edge in the early to mid 90’s was great. A ton of fantastic music, and they didn’t replay the same handful of songs over and over and over and over and over. The late 90’s started to get bad, but by the early 00’s it just became unlistenable. I don’t mind the Chili Peppers or U2, but I really, really don’t need to hear them once an hour, when there are so many other great artists out there.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.