While no bike lock is really secure, here is what I chose

Originally published at: While no bike lock is really secure, here is what I chose | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Your bike lock does not have to be totally secure.

It just has to be more secure than the bike next to it.

19 Likes

… and also take too much time for someone to easily steal the bike.

4 Likes

There’s your problem.

I deliberately ride junky looking bikes.

Problem solved.

1 Like

Looks heavy.

“Heavy is good. Heavy is reliable. If it does not work, you could always hit him with it.”

4 Likes

The Fahgettaboutit Mini is just over 2 kg. Last year when I got a new bike, I got a new U-lock and it was one of the locks I considered, but went with an Abus that is 2 lbs lighter. I ride an extra large steel frame road bike; its heavy enough as it is

1 Like

There’s an old adage that all bikes weigh fifty pounds.

The reasoning is that a twenty pound bike requires a thirty pound lock, a thirty pound bike only requires a twenty pound lock, and a fifty pound bike will still be there when you get back.

13 Likes

The best way to avoid having your bike stolen is to weld it to the bike rack every time you’re not using it

8 Likes

Definitely, nothing wrong with having a nice bike but i know and heard of quite a few people that will deliberately use some real beaters for daily use to avoid theft. And if it is stolen then its not the worst thing in the world.

2 Likes

The Lock Picking Lawyer inspired me to take up lock picking. I will never rise to his level but it has shown me that locks will never keep things from being stolen. They will keep honest people honest but a thief that wants something is going to own it.

That and they often resort to an angle grinder/cutter.

Well that’s just cheating.

1 Like

Got sent this today. I’d like to see the LPLhave a go at these. (I suspect the folding one may already have been done by him and, of course, failed.)

http://view.mail.which.co.uk/?qs=de9b692d1b5d197607f469990bc784c2b25f81054e18276400964d3e1aeb65d24944735f8e344c09111bad8d4ce8aa237bf48db1e410ed38f595a976eabd22229325d9f4016b311fe286a12232c20518

(Apologies for complex link - it’s a browser version of a mail from Which? the UK consumer organisation. Two locks shown as getting high scores.)

When I was in school, a friend of mine had a bike whose pedals weren’t quite in line. He was used to that, but whenever that bike got stolen, he’d find it again a few metres away because the thief wouldn’t be able to get the hang of it.

1 Like

I’ve had one of these for about 11 years, and I still have my bike, so there’s that.

But buy it from a real bike shop, and not Amazon.

3 Likes

Also on BoingBoing: watch the Lock Picking Lawyer disable this lock in 5 seconds.

1 Like

I had my bike stolen from my house once - I never got it back but since I lived at the top of a steep hill and the brakes were not working, I bet it was a wild ride for the thief for a few minutes.

3 Likes

Want a secure bike? Move to Taiwan. Back in Scotland I had a few bikes stolen over the years, one which was chained up on George Street, right in the centre of Edinburgh, in broad daylight. Since moving to Taiwan, I barely bother with the chain at all. I have two pretty pricey bikes and they sit outside my house every night, unlocked. I’ll often leave them outside stores and the like while I go shopping, only ever bothering to chain them up if I know I’m going to be several hours. Been doing this for over a decade now.

Taiwan is awesome in this respect, among many others. I can’t count how many times I left my keys in my scooter (back when I owned one) overnight, and returned to find them still there or put in a safe place the next day. We don’t lock the door of our house unless we’re going somewhere overnight, and we’re right in the centre of the second-largest city, Taichung. I happily leave my phone, laptop, whatever on a table in a busy cafe when I go to the bathroom. And there’s literally not a single place I’ve been where I wouldn’t feel totally safe wandering around lost at night. Taiwan numbah one for personal safety.

1 Like
2 Likes

I’ve seen U-locks broken with a can of compressed air (to freeze it; it’s basically bottled refrigerant) and a hammer.