White Americans abandoned democracy and embraced authoritarianism when they realized brown people would soon outvote them

Here’s a relevant thread:

The GOP is on an irretrievable march into extremism, and they know that they’ve gone so far over the edge that they would be destroyed if they were to relinquish power now.

12 Likes

Racism = Prejudice + Power.

It isn’t about “don’t say mean things about people relating to their skin colour”. It’s about a global system of oppression and exploitation, based in EuroAmerican white supremacist capitalism.

In the current world, it is generally not possible to be racist against white people. It is possible to be prejudiced against white people, but that is not the same thing.

18 Likes

For some thoughts, see this thread:

https://twitter.com/eiwbm_cat/status/1001628296604471298?s=21

…which continues here:

https://twitter.com/eiwbm_cat/status/1001636190724984834?s=21

The counterargument to that is that racism (in the white supremacist sense rather than the “Frenchmen don’t like Germans” sense) is a creation of capitalism, and is fundamental to its continued existence.

https://www.rt.com/op-ed/312440-akala-empire-ruin-glazebrook/

Modern American liberal capitalism has embraced the idea of adding a bit more surface diversity to the ruling class. It’s good PR.

But the people in the sweatshops and the people killed by imperial guns are still overwhelmingly non-white.

12 Likes

Yep you should feel that way.
Thinking back on my high school days the only time I got stopped by the cops or rather my black friend and I were stopped while knocking on the door of one of his neighborhood friends because I was in the hood. One cop stayed in the car and looked ready to pull his gun. Luckily nothing happened as said neighborhood friend managed to open the door and say we were cool before falling over laughing at the white boy getting harassed by the man. But you know that was just the one time and I hate to think how many times my friend had to deal with that just walking home from school or whatever.
So yeah US PEOPLE should be much more fucking aware of how much inequality there is in the system and if it makes us uncomfortable then good cause then we are paying attention.

22 Likes

Yep. One of my friends in college was one of the very few black folks on campus, in a pretty wealthy (very) white town (Naperville, IL).

She would occasionally show up late to things because she got pulled over for, “DWB”. It was a crazy thing to me, because I grew up in the next town over which was really very diverse both ethnically and economically. I still hate fucking Naperville.

12 Likes

Here’s another relevant thread, from a moderately radical perspective:

Or, if you really want to have a fun argument with your relatives, get them to discuss this:

https://twitter.com/kiranopal/status/927729930674364417?s=21

10 Likes

Look behind you.

From the perspective of both Black America and the global south, America has always been fascist. The major difference of the Trump era is that (a) they’ve ripped off the mask, so it is now more visible, and (b) the treatment that was previously reserved for Black- and non-Americans is now being gradually extended to all non-fascists.

This seems like an appropriate spot to remind folks of some history:

13 Likes

This looks interesting:

(the whole thing is about 25 pages)

7 Likes

18 Likes

Hey Bill Gardiner is pretty cool, my father knew him well.

2 Likes

Okay, between the facial expression and the caption on the mug, I literally laughed out loud.

That look totally expresses how I feel, sooo much of the time, like:

11 Likes

I’m sorry – what is your basis for this statement? My own study of history doesn’t in any way lead me to the conclusion that tribes usually got along in history. History was basically an ongoing state of war for the past several thousand years. Yes, there have been peaceful groups of humans, but there has also been, say, Genghis Khan!

1 Like

One can believe in pluralism and not be racist.

3 Likes

9 Likes

We are a fascist state, certainly by Mussolini’s definition of government and corporate/capitalist power centers getting essentially combined. And in many other ways as well.

America is a very brainwashed culture, to the point where the fascism of our culture and systems is totally normalized.

I personally think it’s very likely that we’re past the point of it being fixable – the global order is, rather, more likely to collapse over the next century or two. Woot.

2 Likes

Genghis was an interestingly complex dude, BTW. Worth a look:

Plenty of slaughtering, yes. But a lot more as well.

11 Likes

Heh, I watched Season 1 of Marco Polo, which was really about Kubla, but I’d say this complexity came through in that pretty well. Modern China perhaps wouldn’t have existed if not for that clan, right? I think they did see themselves as nation-builders. Thanks for link!

2 Likes

Ahh, I see. So I can use any language I like to refer to people of other races. There are no social norms. It doesn’t matter if I offend you as long as I feel OK with it. Here I was thinking it was the other way around. That we were supposed to be sensitive to others and try to not be offensive. I don’t need to say “people of color,” “colored people” is just fine, and if they don’t like it that’s their problem.

I'm glad you cleared that up for me.

You read carelessly.

You’re free to post. The reaction you get will depend upon what you say.

16 Likes

Actually, what I did was try to make a point that inappropriate language is inappropriate. Just because one group has not suffered as much as another does not make it all right to insult them. I won’t use the “n” word for illustration, but calling Hispanics the “s” word, Chinese the “c” word, or whites the “h” word is also not OK.

I'm pretty sure that saying there is one set of rules for blacks and a different set of rules for whites falls back under that racism label.