White Culture

Well Done Success GIF by Aurora Consulting - SBA EIDL Experts

12 Likes
7 Likes

I am sharing these stories to make the point that the people most afraid of crime in Chicago — the people most likely to vote for tough-on-crime candidates and write letters to the editor declaring they will never again ride the L or venture onto the Magnificent Mile or eat at the ice cream parlor they loved so much as a child when it was still safe to go there — are the people least likely to experience crime in Chicago. White people. White people aren’t just safer in our wealthy, low-crime enclaves, we’re safer everywhere in the city. To research a story comparing the rise of the Loop with the decline of Englewood, I rode my bicycle around both neighborhoods, and experienced the same amount of crime in each, which was none.

In an essay for Salon, former New York City paramedic Daniel Jose Older related the story of treating a white man who was pistol-whipped during a home invasion in Brooklyn: “While film narratives of white folks in low-income neighborhoods tend to focus on how endangered they are by a gangland black or brown menace, this patient was singular in that he was literally the only victim of black on white violence I encountered in my entire 10-year career as a medic. The dominant narrative of the endangered white person barely making it out of the hood alive is, of course, a myth. No one is safer in communities of color than white folks. White privilege provides an invisible force field around them, powered by the historically grounded assurance that the state and media will prosecute any untoward event they may face.”

The numbers bear this out. Last year, according to the website Hey Jackass!, 567 Blacks were murdered in Chicago, compared to 35 whites. That means the Black murder rate was 70 per 100,000, while the white murder rate was 4.

11 Likes
8 Likes
8 Likes

I’m sure Michael Harriot saw this:

14 Likes

from

14 Likes

Sauce

13 Likes
9 Likes

Texas to Celebrate 25th Anniversary of “The Green Mile” by Executing 25 Innocent People

6 Likes

God saw fit to test my patience today. At the post office, lady ahead mailing a package. Told will arrive Thursday, because Wednesday is a holiday. Heavy sigh. “Don’t get me started on that. we can’t have Good Friday, but they can have some stupid, made up holiday!” Kept my peace, but wanted to say, “I know! Imagine wanting to celebrate the day you got your freedom. How crazy is that?” Sadly, racist assholes are not in short supply.

11 Likes

Racism and ignorance of/opposition to the Establishment Clause: a classic pairing.

3 Likes
5 Likes