Virginia company fined $7,500 for whites-only job posting: "Don't share with candidates"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/27/virginia-company-fined-7500-for-whites-only-job-posting-dont-share-with-candidates.html

10 Likes

The posting says the client is HTC Global/Berkshire Hathaway. If this company is a temp agency, the requirement probably came from the client and they should be investigated as well.

14 Likes

No, I don’t, so I have no idea what that is supposed to mean

12 Likes

“Context: the company, assumed by various commentateurs to be good ol’ boys, is in fact that of former Tata analyst Sheik Rahmathullah. “Arthur Grand” doesn’t exist.“

This guy?

IMG_4217

15 Likes

It’s from Kill Bill. It was a monologue by Bill:

Superman didn’t become Superman. Superman was born Superman. When Superman wakes up in the morning, he’s Superman. His alter ego is Clark Kent. His outfit with the big red “S”, that’s the blanket he was wrapped in as a baby when the Kents found him. Those are his clothes. What Kent wears - the glasses, the business suit - that’s the costume. That’s the costume Superman wears to blend in with us. Clark Kent is how Superman views us. And what are the characteristics of Clark Kent. He’s weak… he’s unsure of himself… he’s a coward. Clark Kent is Superman’s critique on the whole human race.

36 Likes

Thanks

10 Likes

They may have been investigated and nothing was found. I have no idea. But I can see this all coming from Arthur Grand Technologies. I think it’s pretty common knowledge that a certain segment of the population in the US, and especially in the tech world, are racist. If not openly racist, there at least is significant implicit bias against foreign born people, especially those who are not white. I can totally see Rahmathullah trying to get around that bias by making up a white sounding name for his company, and then trying to hire mostly white people without making it so obvious. That’s the part he screwed up. Well…it’s the part he screwed up from a legal standpoint. It’s screwed up that he did it at all, but if he’d wanted to get away with it, he never should have put it in writing. The actual white good ole boy CEOs know to never put that in writing, either physical or digital. That shit is discoverable evidence, even if it doesn’t end up in a public job posting. I have no idea if Berkshire Hathaway is overtly biased in their hiring practices. Warren Buffet is a smart man, so I suspect they aren’t. That doesn’t mean they aren’t complicit in industry wide implicit bias in hiring. But that’s not something you can really sue over.

15 Likes

That’s the part that takes the story from disgusting to pathetic. A better name for the firm would have been “Clayton Bigsby Technologies”.

9 Likes

9 Likes

Brave of you to out yourself like that as a nonmember of the commentateurtariat.

7 Likes

Customers are fine though.

Not the first company

16 Likes

$7,500. That’ll teach them.

27 Likes

Sadly I don’t think this will be negative press for them…just free advertising. So the $7,500 is even more of a joke.

10 Likes

Mut zur Lücke!

7 Likes

Not a very good tech company, if you go by their website. But on the plus side, free WordPress hosting for someone.

Edit: looks like they restored their website. When I first posted, it was pointing to the WordPress default install page.

8 Likes

Nothing to see here. Lots of companies, including many in the Fortune 500, use outside recruiters and give them specific candidate screening instructions about age, gender, ethnicity, etc. The recruiters give the company a “short list” of the “top” candidates that avoids the specified categories. That way, the companies can keep their hands relatively clean. All of that EEO boilerplate at the bottom of job listings is just a bad joke.

1 Like

Um… yeah, there fucking is… people should be more than aware that employing race in this manner is bot illegal and morally repugnant. We should oppose racism where ever we see it, not just dismiss it out of hand, because “corporations be corporations.” :woman_shrugging:

None the less, we should call this kind of shit out each and every time it happens, because that is the RIGHT thing to do. Because it’s both illegal and moral repugnant.

29 Likes

Saying “actually lots of companies are racist like this” would mean there is more that needs to be seen here, not less. Accepting bigotry as normal is abandoning any chance of the progress we need.

21 Likes

Oh come on! Not like we can do anything about racism, after all! And not like it REALLY matters anyway… /s

Regarding Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

15 Likes

Weird. I thought racism was over, at least according to every right wing politician and judge furiously attempting to dismantle any checks on their own racism.
At any rate, I’m sure this is the only time something like this has happened in the last 50 years.

12 Likes