White Culture

This is the thing I’m not understanding. If he’s racist, why did he put B’Elanna on the list?

But ToS is also the lynchpin that the rest of the franchise hangs off and is thoroughly embedded in pop culture.

Dude… come on. This is ridiculous even by goalpost-moving standards.

8 Likes

What? Everyone knows “Beam me up Scotty”

And everyone who is too young to have watched ST:TNG grew up with LeVar Burton reading books to them.

11 Likes

Racism isn’t just burning crosses on people’s lawns.

Microaggressions are a thing; and just because B’Elanna was included that doesn’t give this guy a pass.

Bigotry is a slippery negative behavior; racist people make ‘special exceptions’ all the time.

For instance, my grandmother loved me and my siblings dearly, and we loved her… but she was still a bigot.

14 Likes

This is true. Did anyone ask him, or did he reply to LeVar? I don’t twit so I don’t know what followed.

Still incredibly popular. Also, he listed Scotty, and Voyager and Enterprise were not on that long after TNG…

Yes, it’s racist BS to ignore the engineer on the series that revitalized ST…

Uh Huh Reaction GIF by Originals

Is she Black?

But I bet a lot of newer fans have not gone back and watched it.

Because it’s entered the general pop culture vernacular… and besides, everyone who is REALLY a trekkie would know that that phrase was never actually used in the show…

9 Likes

Don’t know; don’t really care.

I’m just saying that including one POC while excluding another doesn’t equate to “no racial bias at all.”

14 Likes

I thought she was, but it’s been a long time since I’ve seen it.

If your latest goalpost shift rests on a secondary catchphrase that a young person who never saw TNG but who did see ToS might have heard in passing, that’s a muddy place to plant it. Especially since the others on the list have no catchphrases associated with them.

4 Likes

The name Torres doesn’t give you a clue as to her ethnicity?

You keep moving the goal posts, and denying what is right in front of our eyes. Just admit that it very well could be anti-Black bias and move the fuck on with your day, man.

10 Likes

I’m disappointed you think I’m arguing in bad faith. Mindysan said she couldn’t see any other reason for excluding him and I offered an alternative.
I’m not saying his exclusion wasn’t racist, but it’s not the first conclusion I would jump to.

Isn’t that the characters name?

B’Elanna Torres was Klingon/human.

Roxan Dawson (the actor) is hispanic.

10 Likes

Wise words for us all

This is getting tedious.

White people often engage in racist thinking and behavior without even realizing it; that’s just what it is.

13 Likes

You Go First Duck Dynasty GIF by DefyTV

10 Likes

I’m sorry, it’s just a wild conclusion that someone watched TOS, but somehow failed to miss TNG, which was on for longer, and was closer in time than TOS…

Yes, which gives you a clue to the characters ethnicity. You can also spend 2 seconds googling the actor to see what her ethnicity is…

If you don’t want to be accused of posting in bad faith here, how about do a modicum of research on your own to back up your points.

And yet here you are? Thing is, I love trek, and I love Burton, and it’s annoying as fuck to see him excluded like that. I grew up with the man reading to me, and watching him save the enterprise time and again. Leaving out La Forge is just insulting, and yeah, fucking racist.

point pointing GIF by Shalita Grant

14 Likes

You’re goalpost-shifting. You’ve quickly moved from “maybe they just forgot him” to “maybe they’re too young to remember TNG” to “maybe they know Scotty because of a general pop culture catchphrase” – all in discussion about someone who considers themselves enough of a Trek fan to include a character from ST: Enterprise in their poll list.

14 Likes

which was never even said on the show

And of course, I’m a huge DS9 partisan, and love O’Brien, but FFS, anyone who would include him and NOT La Forge has a huge blindspot. Fucking HUGE…

Fortunately, for you, someone’s already done that today! You’re off the hook!

11 Likes

I thought pointing to this was the purpose of the whole White Culture topic. I didn’t realize that people were supposed to take turns defending white culture. Please let me know ahead of time when my turn is coming up so I can take that day off.

7 Likes