White Culture

True, true.
The one that is particularly getting my goat nowadays is the one where they assume their lived experience is what everyone experiences.
It’s so obviously a sign of privilege. I’ve never ever seen, heard, or read a Black woman or man claiming that their experience is universal. Yet countless white men (and to a lesser extent, upper-middle and upper-class white women) will claim that theirs are.

16 Likes

Uh Huh Reaction GIF by Originals

11 Likes

I’m sure we all have stories!
One of my most recent, I was with a group of friends and we were talking about travel adventures. I was sharing about traveling around Tunisia as a solo white woman in her mid-twenties, and how sometimes it got really sketchy. Groups of men would start following me down the streets, licking their lips and making lascivious comments. My friend’s husband, a 6’5” white guy, said, “but it’s not really scary, or dangerous.”
Since I like his wife, I kindly reminded him that the way he experiences the world, given his “user interface,” is very different than how I did, or others do.
He kind of seemed to get it. But it’s perpetually annoying that we have to be so understanding and explain this shit when it seems if anyone challenges their world view the response is angry defensiveness.
Would that I could give my id such free reign and still be treated with such gentle understanding. :roll_eyes:

17 Likes

Spot On Doctor Who GIF by BBC America

12 Likes

18 Likes

Wait… He left out Geordi La Forge!!! For realz!?! What in the actual racist fuck?

Angry Star Trek GIF

Although, honestly, it is a close tie between Geordi and Miles…

12 Likes

This is just a corollary to the “women can’t be trusted to be objective on women’s issues/ gays on gay issues/ Blacks on Black issues/ etc” rule. Only white men are objective, since their lived experience is the One And Only True Lived Experience . All others are just deviations from the norm, and not to be trusted.

14 Likes

Is this racist? B’Elanna’s in the list.

1 Like

It’s erasure, at the very least.

That B’Elanna is in there doesn’t mean that the POV presented isn’t racially biased.

12 Likes

Anthony Bourdain Yes GIF by Ovation TV

11 Likes

True, but it also doesn’t mean that the POV presented is racially biased. They could have just forgotten him.

Yes, let’s keep giving people who do racist shit a pass, because they might not have MEANT to be racist, and that’s what REALLY counts… /s

LaForge was on the second most popular Trek series… ignoring him is a big deal, and I can’t see any other reason that a racial blind spot. He may not have MEANT to be racist, but his actions sure as fuck were.

14 Likes

Then it’s unconcious racism. What it isn’t is a coincidence.

@Mindysan33:

12 Likes

Considering that fish don’t see water, I’m not gonna go down that road with you.

The likelihood that ingrained racial bias was a factor is high, even if the omission itself was unintentional.

And frankly, if dude forgot about Geordi La Forge, then he’s a piss poor excuse for a Star Trek fan, period.

15 Likes

Would that it were so where the wealthy weren’t allowed to have opinions or vote on tax cuts for the wealthy!

9 Likes

Age of poster? Next Gen finished nearly 30 years ago.

Something we can agree on.

Not a good excuse.

9 Likes

So it’s not intentional racism. Just racism.

13 Likes

Ah, but the rule is not “X cannot be trusted with Xish issues,” it is that only rich white men can be trusted. Period. So, yeah…

7 Likes

ToS, which featured Scotty, finished earlier still. How did he appear in the poll when Geordi didn’t?

12 Likes