White House cybersecurity adviser Giuliani took his iPhone to the Genius Bar when he forgot his password

you bet it would…

6 Likes

I wouldn’t worry too much about hostile state actors gaining access to Mr Giuliani’s messages. The messages are probably FROM said hostile states. They already have a copy.

4 Likes

I suspect my answer will be strange to some folks, but you’re correct. Because in fact, it’s almost impossible to hack a phone that has been locked.

To be more honest: going to the genius bar is actually the process for many secure organizations. Where I work, when we deployed iPhones, taking them to the Apple store to fix them was a given and we had to come up with policies and rules around that since we couldn’t service them in house. People initially had to bring their phones to a location where we could hook them up to a specialized system and wipe them of all data. That was painful and wasn’t working, so we deployed our own phone management tools that overrides the iPhones passcode with one we could reset. We also eventually deployed an app that is an encrypted secured container on the phone itself where all a customer’s data goes.

So the real issue here is: did he properly wipe or secure his data BEFORE he went to the Genius Bar? And it takes no genius to know that the answer is “no” because the phone was locked and Guiliani is a total fucking moron.

5 Likes

What Giuliani did was in fact completely understandable.
He considers himself some sort of genius so presumed the Genius Bar provided his kind: Fellow geniuses. I mean where else would a genius in need of help go except to where he can find fellow geniuses?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.