In Cybersecurity National Action Plan conspicuously fails to mention encryption

[Read the post]

Late stage encryption.

6 Likes

Only criminals encrypt. Everybody knows that. That’s why we need weak encryption tools and key escrow.

3 Likes

The President is smart enough to actually listen to the experts, so it’s likely he knows - at minimum - that banning crypto is impossible and also a disaster. He’s also very smart about politics. Maybe he thinks that taking a stand will only stir up the “law and order” crowd, while shutting up will leave the engineers in charge?

1 Like

100%, dude. The same people who just got their employee directory leaked by hackers, and who lost all the information from every security clearance application (including, apparently, according to the letter they sent me, mine, even though I’ve never applied for a clearance) would never, ever, even conceivably, lose those keys they have in escrow.

5 Likes

Sounds like identity theft. Maybe the Space_Monkey they’ve got working for them is behind the leaks?

2 Likes

From the beginning of his Administration, the President has made

a lot of promises and proposals, some of which he has worked to keep, while others he has blithely ignored, and others contain downright sinister surprises.

If the past is any clue, this one may fall into that last category.

The Most Transparent Administration In History™ at hard at work, protecting whatever it is that they protect that they can’t tell you about, because bad people blah blah blah bad things.

I’ll take the anecdotal hits to Obama, but your “article” isn’t much worth the paper it’s printed on. The authors of this fine, upstanding piece?

Rep. Lamar Smith, R-Texas, is chairman of the Committee on Science, Space, and Technology. Rep. Ed Royce, R-Calif., is chairman of the Committee on Foreign Affairs. Rep. Jeff Miller, R-Fla., is chairman of the Committee on Veterans’ Affairs. Rep. Trey Gowdy, R-S.C., is chairman of the Select Committee on Benghazi. Rep. Jeb Hensarling, R-Texas, is chairman of the Committee on Financial Services. Rep. Jason Chaffetz, R-Utah, is chairman of the Oversight and Government Reform Committee.

Gee, where have I seen those names before? And I wonder, which agencies were they complaining about? I’ll start with Lamar “Climate Change Is a Secular Hoax” Smith: Why is Lamar Smit Waging War on a NOAA Global Warming Study? (Christian Science Monitor)

Gowdy? Chaffetz? The Benghazi brothers? Say, how much have they spent in trying to take down HRC dutifully protecting America’s Federal workers?

1 Like

I’ll have a chance to see James Comey speak. What should I ask him?

To give his “Encryption R’ Bad” coloring books back to his friends in the UK.

2 Likes

3 Likes

I think anyone who tried to steal my identity to get a security clearance would be in for a nasty surprise.

4 Likes

Oh I totally agree about the “quality” of the authors of that piece, and admit that I could have chosen a better article to link to, but the Administration’s lack of transparency gives them the very ammunition that they are using against him.

Lamar Smith’s opinion on climate has nothing to do with the openness of the administration, and I wasn’t thinking of the whole Benghazi debacle, I was thinking strictly in terms of this POTUS’ seeming addiction to classifying documents, denying FOIA requests and mistreating whistleblowers.

I take your point overall–Obama has not done as well with transparency as many had hoped.

But given the things Smith has said about climate change, and ESPECIALLY Chaffetz and Gowdy just being themselves, doing what they can to bring down a potential political rival, those folks get no leeway from me.

2 Likes

I got the same letter. Free protection for me, for 3 years, none whatsoever for my family. Utterly worthless.

1 Like

There is no fucking way I am reading that whole thing here.

Start with Jimmy Hoffa and work your way forward.

(Don’t start with Kennedy–you’ll be there all day.)

I just checked my banks website - you’re right!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.