Obama promises statement on encryption before Xmas

[Read the post]

Iā€™m worried. While Obama tends to be cleverer on tech policy than most of the rest of the political elite, heā€™s got a habit of bowing to the authorities when terrorist bogeymen are invoked.

At least I can be thankful heā€™s not Hillary this time out - with her, I donā€™t think thereā€™d be a question.

1 Like

There are going to be so many boingers biting the bullet while they vote for Hillary that I expect a nationwide ammunition shortage.

3 Likes

Agreed. Heā€™s much more conservative in these types of decisions than one might think initially. In many ways more so than Bush v2 on WoT, corporate influence & sadly, civil liberties. I asked Google for an example n found this site for more reading for those so inclined. I havenā€™t read it myself, but the bumper above the seam seems to purport to discuss those topics, so certainly not an endorsement & YMMV.
While yes, each new president since RayGun has expanded executive powers, but I thought the Big O was going to try to put that genie back in the bottle but nope. Imagine Nixon with this much executive powerā€¦ or FDR

Aside from the ā€œHopefully weā€™ll manage to remember that the president doesnā€™t actually make lawsā€ issue; the one nice thing about the probably-bad ā€˜statementā€™ is that Obamaā€™s political opponents treat everything he does with irrational frothing rage; even when itā€™s exactly what they would have wanted.

If Obama expresses his concerns about the proliferation of encryption; even the sort of quislings who would line up to lick Comeyā€™s boots will probably rush to get some before the sharia fascists can take it away.

ā€œFulsomeā€. Yep, right there on the Pinker ā€œmost abused wordsā€ list that was posted a few days back.

Best and brightest, baby.

1 Like

This has been a surprise to exactly no one who paid attention to Senator Obamaā€™s vote to retroactively legalize warrantless wiretapping. After earlier promising a filibuster against it. AFAICT nothing has changed since then.

2 Likes

You know the old saying, ā€œFool me in 2008, shame on you, fool me in 2012, shame on me??ā€

Iā€™m pretty sure there is plenty of shame to go aroundā€¦ but yea, Iā€™ll take another helping ; )

So how again does the American government propose to replace functional cryptography for online payment and banking?

• any cryptography with a ā€œsecretā€ key isnā€™t functional

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.