White supremacy, minus gerrymandering: California GOP reduced to "third party status"

When it comes to race, yeah, seeing people on the basis of stereotypes isn’t cool. But OTOH, colorblindness is not the nice thing that a lot of white folks think it is. It’s instead a willful refusal to see something significant about another person (and also about oneself).

The following may seem harsh, but, well, it’s how a lot of people of color are going to hear what you’ve been saying:

8 Likes

No I intended to use the Nazis as an example of how the deliberate erasure of specific people is a mechanism for oppression. And it’s not at all unique to the Third Reich. Like I said the Chinese are big on it, it’s basically their line on Tibet. That Tibet is not Tibet, and the Tibetans are just Chinese people.

It’s also a common justification for the annexation, invasion, or occupation of neighbors. It’s basically how the Russians called for and justified the annexation of Crimea. The people there are not Ukrainian, or even Crimean. Just Russians, and Russia was just bringing them home.

So sounds nice as a broad concept, but typically used for or leads to evil.

Yeah I know. And I pretty much said the same above and used both according to their meanings.

But for funsies:

The Philippines is often excluded from Hispanic as there aren’t many Spanish speakers left there and it was never the language of daily use for most of the population. It does however often include parts of the US that used to be Mexico. Where Spanish was the language of daily use, even for many Anglo families for a very long time after the US took control. And sometimes still is today, especially along the Texas Border. Both for linguistic reasons as Hispanic is technically the equivalent of Anglophone and Francophone. It’s a description of the linguistic heritage of an area, by way of colonial rule. Filipino friend of mine gets really pissed you call him Hispanic. Though he often insists on identifying as a “Chinese Mexican”. He’s a good person for conversations on this subject. His interest growing out of the way none of the catch-alls applied to Filipinos (including Filipino as anything other than nationality) really fit.

Latinx largely refers to people, places and things from or in Latin America. Which technically includes Mexico south, including the Caribbean. Regardless of precise ethnic group. Argentinians don’t stop being latinx because a great many of them are super white.

Under that definition Jamaicans are technically latinx. But the Caribbean is often excluded, and Caribbean people’s often described as Caribbean. Under that definition you often find Puerto Ricans who do not identify as Latinx. Instead identifying as Caribbean and Hispanic. And you also get the other side of it with Dominicans loudly defending their status as Latinx thanks to colorism on the subject. With the read that latinx strictly means mixto often meaning just white mixto, excluding afro-latinos and indígenos. With Dominicans often being dismissed as “just black”.

So like I said poke any of this too hard and it all gets terribly weird and you’re pissing a lot of people off around the edges. Common usage is different than academic usage. Both of them roll in a bunch of people who aren’t much related aside from geography or language. And both are used as ethnic or racial terms despite not really being meant for that.

Fair enough. My use of “always” was hyperbole. I’m currently in Missouri, but not originally from here. I’m a bit disappointed that Missouri actually moved further to the red. I may be moving to New Jersey soon, though. That will be my first experience living in a blue state.

1 Like

You may be a bit disappointed. NJ hasn’t really been particularly blue in recent history, this article’s got a little widget in it comparing 2014, 2016 and 2018. They went very blue this time around.

But traditionally outside of a handful of densely populated (and very non-white) urban areas its deep red territory. And it had the highest single result for Trump in the primaries with over 80% of GOP primary voters voting for Trump. Even as a late primary its kind of startling. And Jersey along with the Long Island section of NY are the two areas of the country that polled highest, earliest in supporting Trump’s presidential run. Even when it was first floated back in 2000 as an aborted run for the Reform Party nomination.

Its very, very Trumpy in many parts of NJ. Still technically a blue state in terms of national seats. But a lot like NY that’s mostly been driven by the much larger populations clustered around the cities. Until a couple weeks ago at least. I live on Long Island, NY’s attempt to out New Jersey New Jersey. And OH got the sheer number of coal rolling, Trump sticker bedecked pickup trucks.

1 Like

Yeah I’m aware of a lot of what you said. I was recently staying by the shore for 3 weeks and was a bit taken aback one day when I saw a local contractor’s pickup truck with a Confederate flag on it. I immediately thought “well there goes the bullshit argument that that flag is about pride in southern heritage”. Last I checked, New Jersey was not part of the CSA.

3 Likes

Yeah I don’t understand that at all.

If you’re Black, you were born in jail, in the North as well as the South. Stop talking about the South. Long as you south of the Canadian border, you’re south.

— Malcolm X

7 Likes

Living next to San Diego was a real eye-opener. I kind of expected sort of an easy-going vibe, but I’ve really been taken aback by the conservative IRL trollies one encounters on a somewhat weekly basis. Some of these Trumpsters are pretty scary. I’ve seen a few near-fistfights on the MTS, thankfully averted by fellow citizens. I even had a pretty stressful discussion with a racist/fascist from northern CA while stuck with him in a room of a medical research office.

2 Likes

1 Like

Ha, exactly. Claims to racial colorblindness are indeed like a big “white” sheet to draw one’s delusional fantasies on. While ignoring how things actually work in the real world.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.