"White Trash Wins Lotto," an insane and insanely clever musical about Axl Rose, now available for free download

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/06/white-trash-wins-lotto-an-insane-and-insanely-clever-musical-about-axl-rose-now-available-for-free-download.html

4 Likes

Fantastic, but the mentions of ■■■■■ and ■■■■■ kinda ruined it for me.

2 Likes

The album name isn’t great either since the phrase “white trash” is inherently racist as it implies human trash is normally some color other than white.

I’ll concede most people probably didn’t consciously think about it that way 30 years ago, but still.

10 Likes

The problem is that you’re focusing on “trash” when you’re meant to be focusing on “white.” It actually implies white people cannot be trash. It’s a reference to people who live in a system gimmicked to unfairly favor them are still considered low-quality people.

It’s a way for racist people to link the undesirable people of their own race to those other undesirable races. Sure you’re white, but you’re not the right kind of white.

That’s almost literally what I just said.

However you want to parse it, it’s an inherently racist term.

5 Likes

It’s a bit classist too.

2 Likes

It was created by Andy Prieboy

That name rang a bell, so I rummaged through my memory. He wrote and recorded “Tomorrow Wendy”, Concrete Blonde did a cover on Bloodletting, and that’s where I knew the name from.

I’m not familiar with Wall of Voodoo. Maybe today is the day to change that.

7 Likes

you could start here:

6 Likes

Nothing to do with Axl, but the headline sent me straight here:

lucky

An excellent read, by the by.

2 Likes

Make It So Star Trek GIF

6 Likes

Done!

And it’s great.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.