White women are leaving the GOP

You’re welcome!

1 Like

I don’t think Ann Coulter should be allowed to breathe.

6 Likes

I will believe it when I see it. I think most of those white women care more about forcing others to be subject to their religion.

9 Likes

They were fine with the racism but had to put their foot down when it came to all the misogyny.

2 Likes

It’s not like the misogyny was a big secret either. The fact that there have been any female Republicans at all for the past couple decades (at least) is completely inexplicable.

9 Likes

Maybe they were really, really racist.

4 Likes

Does she? I thought she absorbed oxygen through her leathery, scaley outer coating.

7 Likes

Is Ann Coulter human or even from Earth? As an illegal alien she would not be able to vote. Would the law read only men and Ann Coulter can vote? Would such a mouth as hers be willing to be silenced?

1 Like

A couple reasons:

1. How bad could he be?
  2. All that stuff was pre-president; once he’s president, he’ll normalize.

The past year has proven that there’s no limit to either Trump’s cruelty, his dishonesty, or his stupidity. So to answer the first question, we got an answer within a week of his inauguration as he falsely (and pompously) claimed his was the most-attended and most-watched inauguration in history, which any person with a TV could see wasn’t true. Then we got the travel ban, which was enacted hastily on a weekend without any input from the relevant departments. That one cuts both ways: it can demonstrate how bad Trump is at managing, or it can demonstrate how cruel is to intentionally enact a life-changing policy with no prior announcement, stranding people at airports around the country.

The second argument is probably more convincing to white women: there’s sort of a convention (for better or for worse; probably for worse) that we don’t hold presidents to their pre-president actions and judge them solely on what they do in office. A lot of moderates on the Right wanted to believe Trump would pivot to the center after his election, but they were proven wrong. Trump continues to be exactly the same person he was before January 20, 2017. There’s been no moderation and also no indication that he understands the weight of his office. He still acts like he’s the president of a privately held corporation.

23 Likes

My theory is that most ideological thought falls into this trap:

9 Likes

It isn’t even that people expected him to be more moderate. They just expected him to act more “presidential”. Stop going on twitter rants attacking random people, stop spouting out racist nonsense on a whim, stop holding campaign rallies. Basically he was going to appoint “smart” experienced people and listen to them. While he appointed many establishment republican figures – Rick Perry isn’t smart no matter what glasses he wears, but he is a conventional republican politician – he didn’t tone down his rhetoric, and he still thinks “be the bigger man” means to brag about his penis.

8 Likes

Might have something to do with it:

27 Likes

Yes, I think so-called swing voters could swallow Trump with the internalized caveat that he’d become more presidential. And the past year has proven that sorely mistaken.

2 Likes

So my interpretation is that these white women voters were repelled by HRC more than they were attracted to DJT?

This polling indicates that a (significant) portion of these white women will now vote for a Democrat as long as the candidate’s name is not HRC?

(I hope so.)

1 Like

I think it would be a mistake to presume this is about Hillary. White women voted for McCain and Romney in similar numbers. I think it’s time to accept that many white voters in the United States are just flat-out racist.

20 Likes

And fully 100% of them claim to have at least one black friend…therefore no racism, no racism, you’re the racism.

8 Likes

A contributing factor was probably a lot of people who have friends or family who voted for Turnip didn’t take the threat seriously before the election, and afterwards a lot of them probably made more of an effort to smuggle some actual information into those acquaintances’ Faux News bubble. I doubt this is alone what did it, but the cumulative effect probably had some impact.

5 Likes

I think that vote was more about reinforcing white supremacy.

Edit: By that I mean that I think many white women were voting in their interests as beneficiaries of white supremacy over their interests as women.

11 Likes

^^^^^^

Yes.

I’ll believe it when the votes come in. As long as I’ve been watching polls I’ve seen that women are disgusted with the GOP and will be dumping them next time. Then the ballot boxes open and lo and behold white women voted with an emphasis on the white. It was going to turn with McCain or Romney. It didn’t. It didn’t even flip with Roy Moore, a candidate, who setting aside the pedophilia for a second, was removed from office, twice.

6 Likes