Who is "Loab" and what lesson about AI is she trying to teach us?

Originally published at: Who is "Loab" and what lesson about AI is she trying to teach us? | Boing Boing

2 Likes

No

I Dont Think It Works Like That Season 1 GIF by Paramount+

11 Likes

I can’t wait to learn about why the AI keeps showing Loab. The image itself gives me willies, but I’m fascinated by the fact it keeps turning up.

It reminds me a little of someone (possibly Mar Hicks), who asked Dall-E (one version of it anyway) if it was sentient and it returned something equally as horrifying. I was actually able to reproduce that one, but I didn’t like it.

5 Likes

This is giving me The Blair Witch Project marketing vibes.

7 Likes

Likely nothing more than an undigested bit of beef, a blot of mustard, a crumb of cheese, a fragment of an underdone potato.

14 Likes

Looks like they trained the model with too much Kelly Ann Conway.

6 Likes

I know. But it’s still neat to see a technical explanation.

4 Likes

This is the thing about AI, or the potential thing, anyway. At a certain level, it becomes sufficiently complex that we cannot know what is going on in the algorithm. We cannot prove we are sentient, and in fact the word has no actual definition as such. Most definitions that I have seen are effectively variations on “humans are, nothing else is.” Which is circular at best, and bigoted at least. So where does AI cross that line? We just cannot answer that. But I will say, this is creepy as hell if it is not a marketing stunt.

6 Likes

I wonder if it’s similar to this flower - some default “human” image that’s evolved as a reference file in our minds’ deep structure. (I am not a neurologist)

She also looks like Dorothy from Doom Patrol.

Screen Shot 2022-11-30 at 6.56.44 AM

5 Likes

My first thought was that Blum or Peele or someone else is goitto make a movie based on this.

3 Likes

Who is Loab?

She’s the Final Pam’s sister. The serious one, the one who’s devoted her life to stopping Final Pam from destroying the post-apocalyptic world, and other such heinous acts like trying to fix a baby with a hammer.

In other words, Loab is likely my next Fallout character.

4 Likes

She’s just the ghost in the machine.

5 Likes

Is Loab holding a rooster? Looks like a Rhode Island Red.

3 Likes

I was thinking Caitlyn Jenner.

The lesson here is that more training is required. Much more.

So in other words, you are saying she scares the Dickens out of you?

4 Likes

Well you say lobe. I say “Lo-ab.”

6 Likes

If we’re talking fallout 3 then the character creator there was born to make Loab!

3 Likes

Well you say lobe. I say “Lo-ab.”

Me too; I was thinking of it as a Hebrew name, “Lo Av”, which would mean “not a father”. Which is a weird thing to name someone, but who knows.

5 Likes

Loab was born out of negative prompts. If you’re avoiding labeled and known images you’re going to wind up with something visually commonplace that people don’t like to talk about. (like a woman in some kind of distress)

4 Likes

How Gibsonian.

This is bound to result in a down-on-her-luck art gallery director being sent up the gravity well, on behalf of a mysterious benefactor…

4 Likes