Who Owns Omni?

I’ve heard quietly that some authors would like to have the Internet Archive items taken down, but they don’t have standing to do so because they can’t prove they were the publisher of Omni. They might, in fact, have to produce contracts or US Copyright Office registrations to meet the DMCA test.

Even then, because the work is being reproduced as a whole (per the National Geographic case), it’s possible the Internet Archive would assert that only the Omni copyright holder could demand a takedown of the full scanned issues.

I remember Omni well. In fact, I remember when it was a gleam in Bob’s eye and a series of boards at his and Kathy’s house and at their, yes, Penthouse in London. Indeed, I remember it when it was NOVA and why that didn’t happen. I even remember, I think, saying to Bob and Kathy that Bova would be an excellent choice for editor. I remember being in on the discussions and plans for the first issue and I remember being the publisher of that issue in England at the same time we published the first issue in the US. Yes indeed I remember it all.

BTW, Bob did not die in the house. He died elsewhere far far away.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.