"Who's Drunk" is a cautionary illusion from 1897

Originally published at: "Who's Drunk" is a cautionary illusion from 1897 | Boing Boing

7 Likes

Took me a few minutes

9 Likes

At least he’s sleeping it off, and not causing any trouble for anyone. :man_shrugging:

15 Likes

FaithfulScornfulBoa-size_restricted
Is he on the sailboat?

11 Likes

He’s got quite a groinal bulge. :face_with_hand_over_mouth::see_no_evil:

2 Likes

Oh, shit.
I thought that was his knee!

It is his knee, isn’t it…

2 Likes

Oh, poppycock!

5 Likes

@NukeML Or Cockypop?

6 Likes

It’s me, isn’t it?

9 Likes

I think its just a branch

7 Likes

18 Likes

19 Likes

There’s a Sousaphone right next to him, you can’t miss it.

1 Like

I’m from the UK and the temperance movement in America has always fascinated me as to why it took hold there. It was pretty popular here at the time, but basically just petered out while in the US it grew into a monster. The Eighteenth Amendment, prohibition and the incredible corruption of public life in 1920’s. Here, the most it ever did was to lead to some Sunday trading and pub licensing regulations.

If I were to explain the basic cultural differences between the UK and the USA to an alien, I’d be tempted to say that the latter is a place where the idea of Protestantism is taken seriously to the point of psychosis, while the former treats it as a mere eccentricity.

Mind you, go to most British towns on a late Saturday night while the pubs are shutting and there’s some impressive teenage chundering going on most of the time. I used to be one of them, but I yield to nobody in my assertion that the somewhat regular experience of vomiting sundry concoctions to various destinations in the night was character forming. In fact I can’t make any social connection between morality and drinking at all. My dad was a senior British diplomat and used to sit in the living room on a Sunday morning with a whisky soda while he read the papers. Mum was probably pouring herself a sherry by 10:00am. Both would later be in church shortly after.

11 Likes

There were some interesting experiments that were more permissive than prohibition.

https://thestatemanagementstory.org/

8 Likes

Interesting! I think I’d heard of SMS (and also the term “Carlisle collar” to mean a badly-drawn pint that had too big a head) but didn’t know the details.

7 Likes

Serving a Carlisle collar could lead to a Glasgow Kiss.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Glasgow_kiss

6 Likes

Even with this help I can’t see it. I’m usually good at these…wow.

4 Likes

Trying to extrapolate from the knee and buttocks is a tricky place to start. His face is outlined by the bottom branch of the tree on the left, his torso is in the left part of the stones, and his foot just makes it to the ones on the right.

5 Likes

The birds don’t get drunk?

4 Likes