Whose rocket was bigger?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/31/whose-rocket-was-bigger.html

2 Likes
10 Likes

My rocket is bigger!
My rocket is the bigliest rocket ever!
I guarantee that there is no problem there.

3 Likes
5 Likes

Hmm. The Russian space shuttle depicted was called the Buran (not Energia). The multi-use launch system the Buran was attached to is called Energia.

3 Likes

Hey, that’s not my public forum!
Yeah, well that’s not my phallic joke, either.

I’ll show myself out…

1 Like

Isn’t that what they’re going for, the name of the rocket/launcher apparatus?

4 Likes

The Buran only had maneuvering rockets and rode passively on the Energia as a payload. They Energia was a launch system unto itself and also could be used without the shuttle module.

They didn’t label the Saturn V the “Apollo” either.

2 Likes

Why on earth would you include Ares I?

Insert phallic joke here.

That’s what my prom date said!

4 Likes

The Energia launch system was intended to handle an assortment of payloads. With the Buran attached, I suppose there could be room for debate on what to call an entire configuration that included the launch system that gets the Buran into orbit. If this were a US config, I think it would be called 'Buran Energia’ (like Apollo Saturn V). Anyway, my point is that calling the entire ‘stack’ (as it was shown in the video) Energia (and nothing else) tells no one anything since Energia was designed for other possible uses (not just schlepping a shuttle). So, if it had to be given one single name in the video, Buran (the shuttle itself) would have been more appropriate. Just my opinion, although I see your point also.

The answer that will trigger a multilayered right wing meltdown:

Obama’s.

3 Likes

3 Likes

That’s what you get for not considering nuclear propulsion,.

4 Likes

The Orion was a clunky design. If you get the explosion to push a sail, you can replace the giant shock absorbers with stretchy cables. This was Project Medusa (named after the jellyfish).

https://youtu.be/mT4ZdPRADEw

Not a rocket, so it doesn’t get on the chart. Sad.

3 Likes

There’s a reason they did not build a Sea Dragon.
Modelling suggested that, when launched, the rocket would stay where it was and the Earth would be blasted into a new orbit around the Sun.
(Newton notwithstanding :wink: )

2 Likes

What’s that joke - ‘Rule #34 of the Internet’ - if you can think of something pervy, it exists?

Is there a market for dildoes shaped very realistically like specific space rockets?

I’m asking for an unemployed friend.

1 Like

Length, girth… what matters in the end, is that it goes up, and stays up.

3 Likes

I am sure that if there is such a market the “specific” of your post would allude to the less pointy ones.

1 Like

… at least long enough to deliver its payload.

2 Likes