Why "All Lives Matter" instead of "Black Lives Matter" is such a stupid thing to say

Exactly, what Black Lives Matter is not more 'splaining from poor-meaning white folks who can’t see past themselves.

The “All Lives Matter” movement translates in reality to “All Lives ‘Matter’, but Some More than Others”. Which they know. But they don’t care. They want you to know that their life without threat and violence matters!

3 Likes

Yes. This is exactly what people who object to “Black lives matter” are trying to do. Steer the conversation away from talking about racism. It’s exactly what they would have done no matter what slogan was chosen, and exactly what they have done many, many, many times before.

6 Likes

But they’re just being “helpful”. Why can’t Black America let them be helpful? They’d certainly be helpful this time if Black America only stopped trying to protect themselves and stepped back. They’ve been so helpful before.

1 Like

here’s an essay that helps to explain a lot to those who want to keep arguing that “all lives matter” is an inoffensive response to black lives matter. based n my observations guided by my intelligence i expect that those who are making that argument will probably not read it but i offer it in the hopes that maybe one or two might.

1 Like

Wrong and insulting on the first, absolutely correct on the second.

1 Like
According to what some politicians and media commentators have implied, knowingly or unknowingly: Only if the murders are caused by someone who had posed for photos of himself surrounded by racist paraphernalia, and only if the deaths are accompanied by acceptable Black love and forgiveness, then it might matter. Then it passes the racist paternalistic standard and tone test. Clearly it has been said without these deaths there never would have been a debate regarding bringing the flag down. And herein lies a painful reality: Only extreme Black deaths will precede mediocre symbolic steps against past and present racism.

Ouch. As <a href=https://twitter.com/search?q=%40deray>deray on twitter might say, “2015 in America, y’all.”

2 Likes
1 Like

“What’s that, dad? You say she’s Panda-ing? The fuck do pandas have to do with American politics?!?”

1 Like

You are aware that the slave states wanted slaves to be counted as five-fifths, and that the northern states would have made it one-fifth if they could, amirite??

Also known as the whole country was (is) racist as hell? Duh.

Also… 5/5 would equal 1, FYI… They wanted to count slaves because it would have benefited them in the house of representatives, giving them a larger population (not that slaves would have been allowed political rights of course).

7 Likes

Did you have a point here?

Does it change the current dehumanization of black Americans?

7 Likes

Of course! Black people can’t be trusted to understand circumstances and issues that effect their lives. They need us super helpful white folks to tell them what the real problems are!

2 Likes

1 Like

Where would they be without helpful “allies” telling them how to discuss matters and deradicalize? Truly that’s the important hurdle to cross.

2 Likes

So many green M’s talking to each other!

3 Likes

Right? It’s almost pushed me to find some perfect avatar.

6 Likes

?

12 Likes

6 Likes

Tempting!

But @Mindysan33 obviously has first dibs.

Prince is tempting too; if only gifs were possible.

Oh shit, look out, this is getting off topic!

1 Like

?

?

?

?

?

6 Likes