Why are cicadas so damn loud?

Originally published at: Why are cicadas so damn loud? | Boing Boing

12 Likes

Learned a lot and was amused doing so - what more could one ask for? Thank you for posting it!

7 Likes

That guy is great. Haven’t seen him before and had to look him up. He also recently started his own foundation

8 Likes

Thank you, Dr. Ramsey!

Own It Cbs GIF by Paramount+

5 Likes

I had to turn up the video’s volume to 11 because it’s so damn noisy out here right now!

Loudest orgy ever.

6 Likes

I think you’d be damn loud too if you’re having sex for the first time after being buried underground for 17 years.

8 Likes

I’m curious –– late summer when they are all done, and you start finding them on the ground, sort of sluggish and life draining away, they are often frosted in something white? I wonder if they are succumbing to some kind of mold attack?

2 Likes

Close your eyes and his voice reminds me of LeVar Burton. Very soothing, love this guy.

There is a fungus that is making them hyper sexual. So much so that their sexual organs are falling off.

In a few weeks they will flying out and dying over water here. Last time this happened I was out kayaking and saw the catfish going wild for dinners as the critters dropped from the sky.

3 Likes

Who knew; they have the same ‘defense mechanism’ as mice - massive numbers.

2 Likes
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.