Why did Beethoven go deaf? DNA testing solves 200 year old mystery

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/15/why-did-beethoven-go-deaf-dna-testing-solves-200-year-old-mystery.html

7 Likes

DNA testing

[citation needed]

7 Likes

I followed the link to the NYT article. The DNA testing was only to verify that the hair was Beethoven’s. The headline is definitely misleading, but there was DNA testing involved.

21 Likes

Yup!
I, in fact already knew, as I followed the thing on the (extremely good) “Ci vuole una scienza” podcast (Lit. “A Science is needed” - in Italian only).

4 Likes

He played the piano too loudly.

Lets Go Yas GIF by A Little Late With Lilly Singh

17 Likes
12 Likes

Yeah. Isn’t that the mystery?

I mean not everyone was caning the wine like Ludwig van obviously, I’m sure the beer in pottery was actually much healthier, but still. Lead everywhere.

8 Likes

As to the “IQ over 10” surprise, one conjecture could be made that Beethoven’s consumption of the lead acetate containing wine (variety) didn’t start (in earnest?) until Beethoven was at least a young adult. And most studies support general, as opposed to peripheral (e.g. hearing loss), neurotoxicity occurs mainly in the developing brain; that is, lead impairs cognition primarily only when exposed to it as a child. (another good general study)

5 Likes

And now he’s just a de-composer.

16 Likes

There’s less of him every day.

7 Likes

I thought the recent research concluded that it wasn’t the lead that killed him.

5 Likes

So too much heavy metal. Got it.

9 Likes

I thought that Beeth-oven went deaf after standing too close to the Wyld Stallyns’s speak stack?

3 Likes

Wasn’t the lead initially identified something like 25 years ago at this point? I remember some commenter saying, “Aye, he must have been nibbling on pencils!” (Pencil lead does not contain actual lead.)

ETA: Here we go.

1 Like
2 Likes

Thanks for the tip! I’m always looking for ways to increase my immersion into Italian.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.