Why did Jeffrey Epstein build a 'temple' on his island, and ship himself a 53-pound paper shredder, plus a tile and carpet extractor?

Did he have staff for that place, or minions?

I doubt he was working that rug/tile cleaner by himself.

2 Likes

Not only staff, but a competent and polite supervisor for them:

8 Likes

A big shredder is super satisfying!

But man people gotta manufacture that outrage somehow don’t you? Even when there’s more than enough actual outrage to go around.

2 Likes

Xeni, as a fellow cancer survivor, I love you, but,

FFS, this is just some Q level bullshit.

I pretty goddamn sure that Epstein is a fucking rapist who should be in jail. But last I checked, this is still Boing Boing. That “temple” is probably some bullshit that we would all be celebrating if it wasn’t Epstein. IMO it just reeks of some nerdy fascination with something when he was a kid, like a shitty Golan & Globus or Harryhausen movie.

If I had stupid amounts of money. First monkey island, second pond full of hippos. Third, I want an office that looks like John Houseman’s office in Rollerball, with a secret doorway the leads to the nuclear temple from the original Planet of the Apes movies. And that would all be cool until someone started spreading shit about me feeding the hippos the dead bodies of my enemies.

Sure, Epstein could have fucked kids in that tacky temple building, but I would bet large amounts of money on the reason it was built being something that would qualify as being really nerdy fanboy shit.

10 Likes

Fuck yeah, this shreds Tupperware! Doooope!

1 Like

If you can get Guybrush and that rubber tree then I’m definitely coming over.

6 Likes

The article linked in the post states: (emphasis added)

The second claim — “its gold dome flew off during the deadly 2017 hurricane season” — is more supported. Google Earth satellites clearly captured the dome on August 10, 2017, but it’s not seen at all in photographs taken on September 7, 2017, or in any subsequent image.

So yeah, I know the dome is there now. I posted a picture of it. The article is mistaken.

1 Like

Wow, I’m not even nerdy enough to know who Guybrush Threepwood is without Googling it. Seriously I just want an island with a bunch of monkeys on it, and enough money to ensure that the monkeys have a really good life. I’m sure most monkeys are dickbags, but that doesn’t really diminish how cool I think it would be to own a tribe(barrel, carload, cartload ?) of monkeys. I promise that there is nothing nefarious about that, LOL.

1 Like

Two more questions:

Why does he have that wry smile in his booking photo?

How exactly does he get his money?

2 Likes

Maybe his previous shredder burned up? :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

Industrial shredders, predatory sex crime, blowing stuff up on his private island, it sounds like Epstein’s living the dream at Ernest Hemingway levels. Pretty soon he’ll be hunting submarines with his private yacht and machine-gunning sharks.

2 Likes

Sounds familiar…

560x315mv

6 Likes

It’s just self-interest. Plea deals are a tool in the prosecutor’s toolbox. I’ll even give them the benefit of the doubt that its a tool that is sometimes used because the prosecutor genuinely believes its the best way they can achieve some measure of justice, and not just a tool used to protect rich assholes. DOJ doesn’t want to a precedent set that courts can invalidate plea deals, because that would weaken the effectiveness of the tool.

I believe their actual legal argument is that the court doesn’t have the jurisdiction to invalidate these kind of plea deals (but I admit I haven’t actually read the court documents so take that with a grain of salt). So less cynically, it’s possible that the DOJ is genuinely concerned with honoring the checks and balances of the US judicial system.

But I think it’s probably more the first thing.

1 Like

On my tropical island I want tiki-bar architecture, dancing natives, a hashish plantation, expert luthiers, a medical staff, and lawyers. Your mileage may vary.

3 Likes

Because it wasn’t a plea deal, but rather a non prosecution agreement, even if the judge says the agreement is invalid they could still choose to not prosecute, thereby protecting the ability of people to rely on their word. I think they are worried that if the deal is overturned they won’t be able to resist public pressure to prosecute. It’s a little like they are fighting tooth and nail to make sure the decision stays out of their hands.

4 Likes

Your comments made me reflect on how I’ve been throwing the phrase “plea deal” around. It did involve pleading, but you’re right, ‘non prosecution agreement’ is much more accurate. Whoops.

1 Like

And don’t forget: a big shredder like that can chew up CDs and DVDs (like the ones found at his apartment labeled e.g. “Young Girl Pics #495”)!

2 Likes

Unlike in a Sierra game, you generally can’t die in Monkey Island.

6 Likes

Let’s not forget who the acting head of the DOJ is, and who he takes orders from.

4 Likes

There’s only one place to die in Monkey Island. It’s early in the first game where you get thrown into the ocean weighed down by the golden statue. If you wait for 10 minutes, you drown (Guybrush mentions multiple times in the series he can hold his breath for 10 minutes). The game doesn’t exactly end, your action menu just changes to things like, “Bloat”, “Float”, etc.

Tiki bar. Freshwater stream. Swimming pool. Scenic overlook of some sort. Dock/Wharf. Quaint town with hospital, bars, restos. Reliable electricity and internet. Greenhouses for gardening. Tree house.

2 Likes