Why did we even have a Harry and the Hendersons sitcom?

Originally published at: Why did we even have a Harry and the Hendersons sitcom? | Boing Boing

You need to chase that memory away with loving ruthlessness.

7 Likes

“We” did?

I must have missed it somehow; in my mind only the movie exists.

5 Likes

So I could be introduced to one of the greatest female hip hop jams of all time, JJ Fad - Supersonic

Can’t remember one plot point of the show.

1 Like

When we really needed a gritty action series about Harry and the Hendersons?

7 Likes

There was a long stretch of TV history when seemingly every other sitcom was based on “golly I hope the neighbors don’t find out there’s a [robot/alien/witch/person posing as the opposite sex/etc] living in our home!” It was even one of the tropes they kept going back to in WandaVision.

So some TV producer probably figured “A.L.F., but with Sasquatch!” was a can’t-miss formula.

9 Likes

I remember watching and enjoying the show, but I couldn’t tell you what happened in a single episode. I would have been pretty young at the time… Nope, just checked the dates. I wasn’t that young, probably just too distracted with life to remember what happened.

2 Likes

I wish they’d done this story arc as a buddy-cop show.

9 Likes

I remember this show!

Kevin Peter Hall was Harry for the first season before he left us too soon, dying from AIDs from a contaminated blood transfusion needed from a car accident :frowning:

He was on several shows and movies, most notably 227 and was The Predator in the first two films! And like all Sci-Fi royalty - he was on Star Trek, TNG.

RIP, big guy!

4 Likes

Surprisingly it wasn’t a flop. It lasted 3 seasons and over 70 episodes.

But it also wasn’t a network show. Coming in the middle of the huge 1st run syndication wave starting in the late 80’s with Star Trek TNG going to the late 90’s.So ratings weren’t going to ever be great

4 Likes

Tough to say when it began. Mr. Ed?

1 Like

Moi8Rpr

5 Likes

Nice! I see a lot of familiar names in the directors’ chairs:

• Scott Baio
  • Frank Bonner (Herb from WKRP in Cincinnatti)
  • Tony Dow (Wally from Leave it to Beaver)
  • Richard Kline (Larry, Three’s Company)
  • Donna Pescow (Annette, Saturday Night Fever)
1 Like

Donna Peskow had her own short lived TV series, Angie. I thought it was a good show.

2 Likes

Why? For the same reason we had 4 seasons of Small Wonder about a robot child.

3 Likes

Angie

I really enjoyed that one. I remember being disappointed that they canceled it.

1 Like

I think you have to look to written fiction to feel a bit of fresh terror from the Sasquatch, a mythical beasty that’s oft overlooked in horror fiction in favour of other flashier mythical beastys. Devolution by Max Brooks was a book i didn’t know i needed to fill that desire.

3 Likes

Even weirder, how did we have a Toxic Avenger cartoon and an Attack of the Killer Tomatoes cartoon…

7 Likes

I don’t know how we got’em, but I’m sure glad we did. I enjoyed both of these a lot as a kid. I didn’t even know Toxic Crusader was a movie first for probably close to a decade after watching the cartoon. I knew about Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, though.

I couldn’t watch horror movies as a kid (way too scary), but I loved the idea of of the. The Tomatoes cartoon was a good way for me to get a taste without sacrificing sleep (even though I know now the movie version wasn’t scary).

4 Likes

I don’t know about “how,” though the “why” is obvious: to sell Toxy action figures!

4 Likes