Why do animals have butts?

Originally published at: Why do animals have butts? | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Fun party fact: humans are deuterostomes, which means our anuses developed before our mouths.

9 Likes

silly me! i thought we might learn here why we have buttocks, as opposed to why are we food tubes. Henry Ford somewhat answered that latter question. As to the (proper) butt question it’s probably some linear combination of sex display, fat storage, or portable seat cushion …maybe. anyway: cue Maestro Sir-Mix-A-Lot

7 Likes

Jurassic Park Hold Onto Your Butts GIF

11 Likes
2 Likes

Ah, the dependable anus… For me this sphincter is the smartest muscle (collection of muscles) in the human body as it is able to communicate the important difference between a solid, a liquid and a gas.

5 Likes

Sometthing similar happened to lungs. Mammals have a simple breathing sack where air go in and out, while birds have a more advanced system with unilateral flow:
http://people.eku.edu/ritchisong/birdrespiration.html

7 Likes

Researchers have been trying to shine a light on this subject for years.

4 Likes

Why do animals have butts?

How else would they keep their pants up?

12 Likes

Belts?

2 Likes

“Contrary to what you might have read, not everyone poops.”

I’ve always postulated that the proofs that god does not exist are shitting and teeth: for what divine creator would make us deal with wiping our ass and cleaning our teeth so they don’t fall out on a daily basis? I however did not know some creatures don’t shit…I must now rethink things. Perhaps there is a god and they just do not like us.

4 Likes
15 Likes

I’ll be darned…

2 Likes

I’d like to hear an explanation of how butts in general went from a consensus concealed body part to being as it is today a body part that is, at least some times, not concealed at all.

I did not get the memo.

1 Like

Fixed that for you. It’s… not always accurate in its predictions.

7 Likes

Silly humans it’s for breathing now.

2 Likes

It’s all out there!

Reminds me of an old joke:

Little Johnny’s next door neighbor had a baby. Unfortunately, the little baby was born with no ears. When they arrived home from the hospital, the parents invited Little Johnny’s family to come over and see their new baby.

Little Johnny’s parents were very afraid their son would have a wise crack to say about the baby. So, Little Johnny’s dad had a long talk with Little Johnny before going to the neighbors.
He said, “Now, son…that poor baby was born without any ears. I want you to be on your best behavior and not say one word about his ears, or you’ll be grounded”

“I promise not to mention his ears at all,” said Little Johnny.

At the neighbor’s home, Little Johnny leaned over the crib and touched the baby’s hand. He looked at its mother and said, “Oh, what a beautiful little baby!”

The mother said, “Thank you very much, Little Johnny.”

He then said, “This baby has perfect little hands and perfect little feet. Why, just look at his pretty little eyes. Did his doctor say he can see good?”

The Mother said, “Why, yes, his doctor said he has 20/20
vision.”

Little Johnny said, “Well, it’s a damn good thing, cause he
sure as hell can’t wear glasses!”

4 Likes

I’m looking forward to passing that on. My daughter will hate it. :grin:

3 Likes

SO awesome! glad to have the multitude of dad jokes bounding in my head being shared :smiley:

In fact I just had my daughter share one I hadn’t told in forever:
What’s black and white and green and black and white and gray and tumbles down the boardwalk?

Two seagulls fighting over a pickle!

6 Likes