Why do humans have the biggest butts in the animal kingdom?

Radiolab did a pretty good episode exploring this, in-depth, few years back. Could’ve used video content!

4 Likes

Weird ‘no homo’ vibe at the two minute mark.

2 Likes

Once upon a time, a friend of mine owned the baboonbutts dot com domain and let me have an email address on it. I wish I still had that.

ETA: I didn’t intend that to be an actual link as I have no idea where it goes today

6 Likes

Why no this yet?

11 Likes

To accommodate that fact that humans are the biggest assholes?

17 Likes

Showtime Good Point GIF by Billions

11 Likes
7 Likes

It’s a counterweight to balance our oversized brains, if we didn’t have big butts, we would be like this guy:

3 Likes

Sure it’s just a “meme”.

2 Likes

I recall a David Attenborough program from long ago where he offered his view on human evolution and the size of male buttocks (that is, its muscularity) and females choosing males based on that for their “thrusting power”. I assume he was talking about a prospective male’s ability to run down prey.

3 Likes

…and stab it, thrust a spear, juke it…
manly buttocks! thrusting buttocks!
oh, my

4 Likes

We have the largest butt ratio? Seems like a horse is about 1/3 ass. How do you know where the ass ends and the horse begins?

5 Likes

Look, it’s been a loooooong lockdown, OK!

5 Likes

Whereas Donkeys are 100% ass

15 Likes

Yer funny

Big butts make it easier for us homo sapiens to poop on the rest of the animal kingdom.

My fundament is an ornament – callipygian

3 Likes

It’s because we have large heads for our large brains. Without an equally large butt we would not be able to keep our heads firmly ensconced in our asses.

6 Likes

I keep seeing comments about big butts being for pooping, but the big butts make pooping harder, to be honest. More meat to avoid.

As I recall, it really is all about the bipedal gait, as well as the ability to sweat. Early hominids developed a sort of loping gait to wear down prey under the African sun, using sweat as a coolant whilst animals like antelope overheated, unable to keep cool through panting. We weren’t built for speed as much as endurance. And then adding abilities to cross mountains to a bipedal frame means even more muscle tissue needs to be attached to the hip, which means the butt has to grow. Again.

3 Likes