Why do Japanese people wear medical masks in public?

Lots of people in Mexico City wear masks too. I always assumed it was related to air quality.

5 Likes

I like it. Here in America we toss our empty Mountain Dew bottles out of our SUVs as a sign of consideration for others.

9 Likes

They come in black now. Those might not be too noticeable.

1 Like

I want to see more research done on dazzle makeup.

3 Likes

Good luck with that…

Wait, there are people who don’t like to watch cute girls play ukulele?

2 Likes

No, I just think there’s a secondary category of people who don’t, ah, think about it while they, um.

Anyways, I’m not gonna spell out this joke.

Well that’s a relief. I thought next you’re going to tell me that some people don’t like kittens. But I’m sure that some people have unnatural ideas about kittens too, can’t be helped.

Speaking of Japan, if I was a betting man, I’d bet a google image search turns up hentai for that.

1 Like

I’m sure the burqa ban advocates will be along shortly to decry this hiding of the face, because their advocacy has nothing to do with Islamophobic bigotry. /s

4 Likes

Plus, it makes you look cool as shit.

5 Likes

They’ve been doing this since well before WWII.

Probably when they started industrializing and air pollution started making ,crowded cities very unhealthful.

1 Like

Why not ?

1 Like

concerto for flute and ukelele?

1 Like

As I understand it, they like to call it a “shakuhachi”. :wink:

I figured it was a labor-saving trick so they wouldn’t have to come up with as many unique designs for Japanese people, like how the original Mortal Kombat game just used the same sprites for Sub-Zero, Scorpion and Reptile except rendered in different colors.

01CBA608-612B-45FA-BA49-40E4FF4AC709

3 Likes

the shakuhachi is traditionally made of bamboo, but versions now exist in ABS and hardwoods. 1

1 Like

different animalities, though.

In reality, all of the ninja characters in the first three Mortal Kombat games were all represented by a single actor. The original base costume was of a red color to avoid blending in with the blue background used when filming the characters for the sprites. This method was used because of memory limitations and an attempt to get more playable characters for the roster. The ninja actor had to perform a wider array of moves and multiple fighting stances than the others as they would be “portraying” multiple characters at once. Once the sprites were captured, they were digitally recolored, creating color values to be applied to the numerous characters. These values were programmed and coded to be treated as separate character values, having access to certain sprites and individual special moves to create their identities.

1 Like

Good point; it would save a lot of resources rendering the simulation.

Only they’re counterproductive if worn for too long; soon as moisture from your breath dampens them, they actually attract nasties instead.

1 Like