Why do Red Delicious apples actually taste crappy?

Originally published at: Why do Red Delicious apples actually taste crappy? | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Previously on BoingBoing - within the past few weeks. Seems we’re getting a good apple harvest this year.

7 Likes

The “Red Delicious” critiques shall continue until the apple people stop mislabeling them.

9 Likes

“The Apple That is Still Red And Was Formerly Delicious”?

10 Likes

…said it once, said it a thousand times…

Fine by me!

6 Likes

Granny Smith is for baking with–would not recommend just chomping into one.

2 Likes

I actually love chomping into Granny Smiths (they’re my go to normal grocery store apple) but I enjoy sour things and don’t mind that they are a bit more firm/chewy. I can understand though why others wouldn’t be as big a fan of them outside of baking.

9 Likes

I was wondering if it was Groundhog’s Day again already…

1 Like

That’s awrite!

jodie whittaker halloween GIF by Doctor Who

3 Likes

I’ve always thought the best way to identify one is if bottom of the apple is shaped similarly to the bottom of a soda bottle, then it’s probably a red delicious

3 Likes

And this fake Apple story:

4 Likes

+1 Granny Smiths are great for eating. Obviously you have to like a tart taste, but no doubt lots of people do.

3 Likes

I’ve never seen a website with such a hard on for dissing red delicious apples.

3 Likes

Here, let me show my age.
Just look at it. :banana:

8 Likes

I missed that apple ranking before! I actually like gala apples. Recently my local store has been carrying these apples called Pazazz though (apparently related to the honeycrisp) and it just might be my new favorite.

1 Like

“NEW CROP” Red Delicious were indeed delicious. What’s terrible now is Honeycrisp, which are quite sour now.

It had it coming!!

Btw, the last time I made the mistake of attempting to consume a Red Delicious, I was disgusted by how sweet it was. It’s bizarre to discover that the RD is not appreciably sweeter than other popular apples.

RD, Fuji, Granny Smith: they all have about the same 14g of carbs in a 100g portion. I don’t know what to make of these data: Link to USDA Nutrition Data, Apples

Could it be that RD has nothing else going on in the palate range but its sweetness?

the newtonian effect

Because they’re not Golden Delicious apples.

Next!

Honorable persons may disagree.

1 Like