Why do the people look like aliens in this 1895 "gynecological gymnastics" book

And now you know the wonderful advantage (and worst nightmare) of anonymity on the internet!!

Seriously, I really do say things like “heavens to Betsy” IRL, so as shocked as y’all are, friends and family would be on the floor aghast!

3 Likes

Hmmmm… you know Mindysan just got quoted in a post on the main Boingboing site. Do you think that if we petition hard enough chgoliz can be equally honored?

5 Likes

Aw, shit… :scream:

2 Likes

At least you had the decency to refrain from the pooter/scooter variation…

Or, from the look of the twist on it, perhaps a veterinarian…

4 Likes

But I bet you also exclaim, “RATS!” when something goes wrong. That’s not an insult: it’s adorable.

1 Like

Or quit the alien medical practice and join an interplanetary mining outfit?

Honestly I do: darn it, geez, holy moly…I learned a long time ago that the point is to indicate strong feeling, and using old-fashioned turns of phrases actually gets the point across better because it’s so unexpected. And then the one time in a year when I do swear, people know I must have a pretty darned good reason.

This doesn’t mean I don’t keep up on the young-'uns vocabulary, mind you. As witnessed above!

2 Likes

I wonder if this little illustration appears in a certain Swedish Doctor’s compendium of anatomical idioms next to the term “drilling”

1 Like

Off topic but: said that to my psychiatrist once (have no idea of the context now but clearly remember saying it because of his reaction). He’s a quite refined white male in his early 60’s. He laughed for about 10 minutes until he cried with laughter.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.