Why don't you flag?

I do think an “echo chamber mode” is a potential problem. I also think that the “ignore” feature I’ve used on some other boards that mutes select posters posts (but can be overridden by the user) can save people a great deal of grief. I don’t know that there is a single, perfect answer to this issue.

What happened to that pause?

it’s under the posts you excused yourself from finding as you go on about what you want.

1 Like

It was the doubling down that did him in. Smart guy when it came to technical things, not so much when relating to other people.

13 Likes

http://www.threadinternational.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/94e428ca39a2c2ff6aa8b4e0704486bbacbdc05bddeef75ef9d91ecb1837ba46_-original.gif

16 Likes

IIRC, his suspension is up in a couple of months.

(ETA: Three months today, actually)

Maybe he’ll come back having learned his lesson this time.

But, then, that’s what I thought about the Cow, too.

11 Likes

Selective quotation on your part since I explained the situation to the degree possible while still keeping my promise to the main known moderator.

If you think I’m intentionally not telling the truth, you can PM falcor yourself and ask if he (?) specifically requested that I and another regular not interact and that I not mention that user by name.

3 Likes

10. Rules lawyering will fail.

You did not make your point, please don’t go on about your dispensation to not have to.

“I would but” are the three important words I quoted.

I get that you think that someone got treated that way, and, yeah, you do think that. No argument there.

I am unswayed in my thinking by your lack of evidence. Your excuse is unrelated, and is not substitute for proof or evidence, as I see it.

3 Likes

The only problem I see is if you end up doing as you suggested and using it as a flag surrogate.

Let’s use our good friend Shaddack as an example.

Let’s say that he comes back and behaves himself. However, due to saying something that is interpreted the wrong way, or posting long-winded (but not flaggable) rants, or simply because of his previous abhorrent behavior, a bunch of people decide to mute him.

Shaddack is pretty much on his last strike here. If he breaks the rules, then by all means, he should get the appropriate punishment. I just don’t want a mod to see a guy with a history of trouble, with a bunch of mutes unrelated to that trouble, perma-banned despite being on his best behavior.

8 Likes

8 Likes

i recently got a warning in a lounge thread that told me i had posted 21% of the replies and was i sure i was letting others participate enough. it was because of a string of virtual xmas presents i was leaving. i wondered then if there was an actual hard cap on number of posts in a thread over a particular time.

12 Likes

I wouldn’t mind a non-snark note with the deleted/banned post/user, but having been a moderator in a popular forum before it is a massive workload even being slightly transparent. I feel this place has a happy medium, but I’m also pretty sensitive to the effort involved for a hobby.

I mean, I had to leave a note showing what I deleted in the post and why and I had to run an open door lounge and I had to respond to flags and say why things that were flagged were not really flaggable and deal with users yelling at me. I didn’t even have a particularly large section of the forum, or a section that involved debating major issues in people’s lives. It didn’t surprise me at all that they had significant turn around in the position.

11 Likes

I’ve been “flag bullied” by a “darling”. Once she didn’t like my contradicting her opinion and accused me hysterically of attacking her and then had both my post and her bizarre response stricken. On another occasion she posted an opinion on a “trigger” subject in another thread, and when a member posted his opinion, she claimed she “didn’t want to talk about it with him”. Then when I posted my opinion she accused me in the lounge of “trying to drive her from BB”. My post was deleted. Since when can someone bring a subject up, express their opinion, then flag someone for posting their own opinion??? What’s Kafkaesque is that all the evidence of her craziness gets deleted so you can’t show the pattern.

I was so disgusted with BBS I left for a month and lost my TL3 status.

5 Likes

that’s the reason why I only (and extremly rarely) flag first posts in ugly discussions, with a flag comment describing shortly the problem with the thread. let the dragon sort it out, generally I don’t have specific problems with a single user but group of users creating unhappy mutants with mostly unwonderful comments

3 Likes

so, she was ‘hysterical’ and ‘bizarre’ when you contradicted her opinion, and then she had both her post and your removed as she ‘didn’t like it’.

I wasn’t aware users could remove posts and replies, perhaps you’ve misattributed the responsibility there, with your words? And, did you contradict her with more respect for another human than you’re showing her here, now?

There is a world of difference between ‘hysterical’ and ‘bizarre’ and the more fair and reasonable ‘upset’ and ‘upset’. It’s one thing to go around upsetting people, it’s another to call them bizarre and claim there is a conspiracy when you do so. Maybe you were rude, we’re not always the best expert on when it’s us. That’s why we submit to moderation.

And so you took a month off because you didn’t like the moderation regime? Okay. That seems reasonable. At least you’re not punishing anyone else when you do that, the way you do when you namecall with bizarre and darling and hysterical and Kafkaesque. My 2 cents. It is just awful when other people lash out, huh?

If your strong feelings are to be respected, it’s ONLY because everyone’s are.

15 Likes

You got a warning for that? Unfair!

1 Like

No, that’s automatic. You can ignore it; it’s just a friendly reminder. Although, as @navarro asks, I don’t think any of us know if there is an actual hard limit in place if you go too far past that point.

In that particular thread, I think we would have all risen up and alerted the mods if the system had locked him out at that point!

14 Likes

You’ve jumped to a lot of conclusions. I’d show you the posts to prove I was not being provocative or rude, BUT THEY WERE DELETED!! In the 1st instance I actually PM’d a senior TL3 member on that thread to ask WTF, he was startled too.

Good question… I was pretty dumbfounded. Perhaps somebody flagged it?

Just went back there… Wow, that whole section gone – somebody must have flagged her (or else, as you mentioned, she flagged for mod action).

I had merely argued with her opinion by presenting other facts, I said nothing personal at all. In the 2nd case I was responding to the 2nd poster, she didn’t want to read comments about the subject and rather than not read that thread, or portion of the thread, claimed I was attacking her.

1 Like

Why do I feel like I’m back in high school?

24 Likes

Flagging is so fetch.

18 Likes