Why Essex is crap, or at least why everyone thinks it is

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/27/why-essex-is-crap-or-at-least.html

3 Likes

Cape Cod has quite a few people who revel in ignorance and lean VERY hard right.

4 Likes

Essex… the new New Jersey.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Why not both?

Capture%202019-06-27b

10 Likes

“young, industrious, mildly brutish and culturally barren”

How charming, we have those here, less the industrious…

3 Likes

My wife grew up in Essex (Chelmsford, actually) and her family is still back there. I grew up in Birmingham and before I had a reason to go there, I always pictured Essex as a kind of outer-outer-london. There’s a clip from Monkey Dust (a satirical cartoon show the BBC ran in the early 2000s) that sums it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj8ThOmPTuM&app=desktop

2 Likes

We made the out of towner mistake of stopping in Hampton Beach, New Hampshire last year. Motorcycle parades all day long, drunks yelling in the streets at night. Sounds like Essex.

2 Likes

The great Jonathan Meades’s BBC program about Essex
6 Likes

Downtown Vancouver offers a similar experience. The transition from the restaurants, boutique stores and multimillion dollar condos of Gastown to the third-world living conditions of East Hastings is a matter of 100 feet.

5 Likes

Sounds like San Francisco, where in some places, such as the Mission District, they are intermixed in alternating buildings.

5 Likes

Well, the first single was good:

6 Likes

Unfortunately his standards slipped.

1 Like

Yep - I was coming to post the same link. Meades is peerless.

3 Likes

Gloucester, Essex County, Massachusetts. Salty fishy townies plus the artsy fartsy. Triple-deckers next to million dollar Victorians. You can see world-quality art in a museum and then watch a drunk guy fight a seagull in the same hour.

6 Likes

Holy!! I came here to suggest the same place — where I’m visiting this weekend, actually. I love that the old fishy Gloucester still persists. Literally a block from hipster art galleries and semi-fine-dining and whale watch cruises I can go to the original Crow’s Nest bar (from “the Perfect Storm”) where fishermen with Popeye voices yell at you and there’s keys behind the bar to rent rooms upstairs by the hour.

4 Likes

Also crap. See Newark.

1 Like

What about this Essex?

3 Likes

I love Gloucester. It’s the last place on the North Shore that still has that real salty vibe. I worked at NOAA for the fisheries office for a long time and really always appreciated working in Gloucester.

3 Likes

Oh this is St. Peter’s Fiesta weekend! You so psyched. You NEED to see the sienne boat races and the greasy pole.

4 Likes