Why hurricane maps do a terrible job of communicating the danger of a hurricane

It’s okay, you’re not alone! :laughing:

1 Like

Sure, the Homeland Security Advisory threat levels are easy to understand. The problem is, they tell you absolutely nothing about what to do differently in those different cases, let alone what the actual numerical probabilities are, whether the scale is linear or logarithmic, etc. In other words, the color and the description are easy to read, but completely useless.

2 Likes

In which case, when @Akimbo_NOT said…

…the people being referred to were in fact everyone! Nobody could understand what it meant.
Fair enough.

2 Likes

The US Government is not known for its graphic communication skills.

1 Like

Correct, nobody understood it.

There were two categories of people: those said they didn’t understand it because they were smart enough to know that they didn’t understand it, and those who said they did understand it, because they were too dumb to know that they didn’t really understand it.

1 Like

Oops, I meant Frances, rather than Francis… I remember running out into the middle of it to unblock a storm drain which had a huge branch blocking it, turning the street into a lake. Then I got back to the door and realised how dumb I had just been >.<

It gets better with the luck - 2004 was the last time I was in Florida until that 2017 trip. So 13 years apart, I get hit by 2 of the biggest storms.

Those are the only two storms we have directly been hit by in the pretty much double figures we’ve been there. We got clipped by one as we were flying back, but it pushed us about an hour ahead of schedule!
We generally tend to pick Sept to Nov, because the heat is off its worst (our first time in 89 was in July!) and the crowds used to be at their smallest before the Christmas rush kicks back in.

Plus, my parents used to run pubs and bars so December was basically never a time for a holiday as it was always insanely busy due to Christmas and New Years.

1 Like

I think this is a little harsh. Those who said they did understand it may well have understood something from it. The question is: what is the “it” that they were supposed to understand and what was the “it” they did understand? :wink:
But, basically, you are right; it is all nonsense.

1 Like

I’d like to like your comment but the offending apostrophe prevents me. It’s my OCD that is having its way, here. Sorry. :wink:

1 Like

I like that. “If you don’t know what this means, then for fuck sake don’t rely on it.”

That’s an awful lot of assumptions in so few words. Maybe they don’t have a choice or maybe they have really good reasons for staying. Let’s not go down this rabbit hole please.

Well, it’s true. Nobody can call anybody else a nitwit [idiot, stupid, lame, light on brain cells, etc., insert insult here] without either the other person or someone else standing up and saying, essentially, “No, YOU’RE the [insult] !!!” So, I’ll drop it. I think my point was made, so no sense belaboring it.

But more to the point…

“much of a hurricane is not predictable…”

…just happened. Now, as of the last 24 hours, Dorian is no longer going to directly hit Florida and has shifted northeast. We are 3 days out… There is simply no way to perfectly predict what any specific storm will do, not even within 72 hours.

You are right. I will eat my words, as any true nitwit should.

Screw Tufte, this is easy:

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.