Why I am moving from a tiny house into a tinier house

I think “Civil Disobedience” has merit, but listening to him prattle on about the cost of roofing nails in “Walden” grinds my gears.

5 Likes

I enjoyed this absurd story, thank you

1 Like

I agree with this statement. I love the idea of clean open space with everything tucked away, but that’s just not who I am. I use a lot of things, and keep a lot of junk for projects. The best I can do is organize it, but it still has to occupy space. The only way to make my space feel sparse and open is to acquire more space.

… and kids, that’s how I came to own a junkyard.

10 Likes

is it a good or bad trait that I collected the mountains of stuff all alone?

4 Likes

Fetishize away, but the holier than thou attitude that comes with it is aggravating. I feel that way about most of these fads (especially diets) Probably says more about my intolerance than anything, and I should give them the benefit of the doubt that they have discovered something that helps them or brings them joy and want to share it with others.

(Annoyed confession closed, Although I think everyone should do it, it worked for me, it will be good for you, it will make you as good a person as I am… hey wait a minute, I am doing that thing.)

4 Likes

The things people will do in order to talk about themselves on the internet.

I suspect it’s not how most people are, it’s just they’re made to conflate having everything tucked away with organization (I’m looking at you, Real Simple). Organization isn’t about aesthetics, it’s about function.

People seem to have figured this out when it comes to garage workbenches yet fail to apply the same principles to their kitchen: all frequent-use tools visible and within arm’s radius, each with its own assigned home.

Neatness should be a consequence, not a precursor, of good organization. After designing and building a kitchen workstation to my exact needs, my kitchen became neat and tidy overnight and has stayed that way ever since.

2 Likes

I’m dreaming of an old Airstream in a few years when I finish at my current job. Take a long slow cross country trip for a year - solo. See all the things I’ve missed. Dreaming my little dreamy dreams!

6 Likes

I’m loving living in my small coop in center city Philly. I owned a big house years ago, before some hard times. I found out I really didn’t need all that space. Nice to have the cozy place. Of course, I’m not sharing. So, it is different. I do miss ayard, but the building has a lovely roofdeck.

3 Likes

Ok, I really really do like the idea of tiny houses, I am not going to knock them, but my family of four has a mudroom that is bigger than that house and, man, is it nice to have.

3 Likes

I’m working on getting a 100% telecommute job so I can live like that. It would be glorious.

1 Like

I wish I could like this 4 more times. If I had an extra 100K lying around, I’d dig out the basement, turn it into livable space, with at least one extra bathroom.

2 Likes

No, you’re a poor person and that is all anyone who isn’t upper middle class or higher can afford these days if they want to live in a prosperous area.

Well, I want a big bathroom to poop in. Actually, just a big toilet. Damn the house, give me three inch pipes!

3 Likes

“Why I am moving from a tiny house into a tinier house”

Cause you like pooping in a bucket?

1 Like

I will repeat what someone else snarked on some other comment forum: “Tiny houses are what happens when hipsters discover trailers.”

That said, the tiny houses I’ve seen are very beautiful. I cannot see living in one myself for various reasons: they do not ever seem to be equipped for someone who enjoys cooking; the sleeping and toilet arrangements can only be managed by someone in relatively good health (a broken leg or good bout of illness and things get dicey fast); and they seem to require a gym membership for bathing purposes. They do, however, seem like a nice vacation camper if you’ve got the money for it.

3 Likes

I am going to guess that the house will not end up in very high altitude in Colorado.

We have some cute little cabins on our property, including a nice little trailer from 1950 with a deco wood interior. They are really nice for staying a couple of days way up in the mountains, but you would not want to live there. We have talked about making them some kind of artist retreat, but decided against it, primarily because there would be a bunch of work involved. There is no electricity or cell reception up there, and the water comes from an icy stream.
But overall, I like the concept of tiny houses. It is not terribly different from when we lived on a sailboat for about 8 years. But even on a 47 foot sailboat, we had to be super organized, even then, it could get overwhelming pretty quick.

1 Like

I do too. If I weren’t married with kids, if I lived alone, I’d be quite happy in a wee house. I’m pretty sociable and I love my big house with room for the kids and several guests, and I could pretty happily live in my current 4-bedroom 3-bath 2400-square-foot home with four more people than the four who currently occupy it. But left to myself, I prefer coziness, and just those few physical possessions that mean the most to me.

And my bonsai juniper. :relieved:

2 Likes

I just can’t give up all the stuff. I understand about not being attached to material things, I was raised Buddhist. I like watching my giant TV in the evening. And tens of thousands of books. Also, two teenagers who like privacy. I just cannot see living long term like that again. My gun vault is bigger than that.

4 Likes