Why I'm not boycotting Ender's Game

If that were his only issues I’d be upset, but still would go.

http://www.ornery.org/essays/warwatch/index.html

I give you his blog, where he writes about his hatred for all things liberal, women, etc.

2 Likes

No. I -suspect- over the long term it will show a gain–mainly because the restaurant is now held in reverence by so many wingnuts. That said, I don’t know it for a fact–its entirely possible that the people who will never, ever go to chick-fil-a after the controversy outweighs that. But I haven’t heard any reports about their numbers going down. Frankly, I think the people who weren’t going to go there anyway composed much of the boycott, and the right wingers loved it anyway–and this just gives them an excuse to eat there 3 times a week instead of 2.

In any case, in the short term, they definitely had a surge and… Movies are all about the short term, which is another reason I worry about a boycott feeding the monster rather than starving it here. The bigots are still stinging after the Supreme Court decisions–I think they’d love to relive some of that glory from last summer to boost their side’s morale and sense of being a hidden majority, and countering a boycott would be just the ticket.

Hope I’m wrong.

1. Boycott the movie entirely. Give him no money. Pirate the movie if really want to watch it.

Meanwhile, as far as Card goes:

2 Likes

Boycotts are definitely not the same as blacklisting and are used all the time by the left to help create positive change in the world. Publicly NOT supporting the creative work of a hate monger - no matter the quality of the work - seems to me like an excellent use of boycotting. I bought the recent humble bundle of sci fi works and choose to give all the money to the artists because one of the charities listed was sfwa, who have stumbled big time lately on equality and respect issues. When the culture there changes, I will happily support them. We live in a consumer society, where the money goes is where the power is. I hope Cory seriously reconsiders his position.

1 Like

There you have it folks. If you pay to see this movie at the boxoffice, a percentage of that ticket sale will go to Card. Even if this movie didn’t look like a suckfest (judging by the trailer I saw), I will not be going to see it.

1 Like

I’m not giving him a click. Mother doesn’t like it when I troll the dark places on the internets.

I’m not going because Card is a tool, I’m not going because Ender’s Game was a horrible book, and I’m expecting even worse from the movie.

No, it’s not okay, and that’s a poor strawman. Those people have a right to their opinion. You work to make sure those people do not get their way in the legal system. I just don’t see a point to hating and punishing people for their non-violent beliefs. Don’t let them take over, but don’t make hate worse by piling more hate on top of it.

Welcome to human society. :slight_smile: Everything human beings do has always been cage matches between ideas.

And that’s where you and I differ.

Given that Card HAS violent beliefs, and has urged people to rebel against the leadership violently, and has encouraged the Ugandan government to institute the death penalty for homosexuality, I think it’s clear what you should do.

His beliefs stopped being non-violent when he started calling for people to die.

5 Likes

What percentage is going to Card? What about all the other people that worked on the movie and would be getting money for it? Do they have the same viewpoint(s) as his, or do any/a good portion of these people support gay rights? I think it’s easy to target/focus on this movie because of the author, but it’s fundamentally difficult to assess the exact type of impact a ticket will have. It’s only easy to construe an impact once you’re willing to ignore everything else and equate the movie with Card himself.

Your suggestion that Card donate his profits is an interesting one: why not encourage the studio to donate a portion of their profits to LGBT-rights organizations to show they don’t align themselves with his views? This would probably be a bit more effective than this boycott, and probably would piss Card off a bit as well :smiley:

1 Like

Is that points on the gross or on the net? Because if it’s on the gross, he’ll get money, sure. If it’s on the net though, even if Ender’s Game is the highest-grossing film of all time, Hollywood Accounting will ensure that he gets diddly.

1 Like

I agree boycott is a tried and true way of protest even if not always successful. It is even quintessentially American. It won’t be effective most likely just as the Baptist boycott of Disney back in the 1990s failed abysmally. Not enough Baptists were willing to give up Disney for whatever reason and I imagine there are not enough geek, Ender fans willing to give up their dream movie.

“The Left does not blacklist”. That made me laugh out loud.

1 Like

Isn’t the boycott against Wagner’s symphonies and operas still upheld in Israel? Wagner’s historic views on Jewish people ( and Hitler’s love of Wagner ) seems to have initiated a boycott with long standing effects. Something that touches a raw nerve in people will last a lifetime, and can get handed down to the next generation. I still know of one old Vietnam Vet that won’t watch or support anything having to do with Jane Fonda. I think the strength of a boycott lies in its “righteous rage” factor. Card’s offenses have to be egregious to a significant percentage of the society to support a boycott.

The problem with this boycott is that it lumps people who won’t see Ender’s Game out of a principled stand against homophobia with those of us who won’t see Ender’s Game because we don’t give a rat’s ass about Ender’s Game.

What is the difference between telling anyone you know why you decided not to buy a movie ticket and walking a picket line at the theatre? Isn’t it just a matter of degree?

Intersectionality FTW. \o/

( :smiley: )

1 Like

love you for the vocab alone

1 Like

you said “our country”

GAME OVER

Is the answer “Pirate the Movie”?

Honestly waiting in a picket line at a theatre is probably just the same. Nobody really pays attention to picketers nowadays, everyone’s protesting something.