Why is there a crashed space capsule in Winganon, Oklahoma?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/29/why-is-there-a-crashed-america.html

10 Likes
16 Likes

Spreading…

8 Likes

Let Jamie and Adam take care of that for you

12 Likes

Last night my wife and I realized that we both forgot our anniversary. Maybe a project like this would help us remember. Anyone know of an abandoned cement mixer in upstate Ny?

7 Likes

My most memorable project from my last job was doing the design and calculations for blowing the barrel off of the back of a cement truck using black powder ignited at exactly the right time. We only had one one cement truck to use for the shoot and I’d never done any work with pyrotechnics before so I was nervous as hell, but it worked out:

https://www.reelefx.com/effect.783

The final footage was used for an insurance commercial starring Commander Adama:

18 Likes

Photo of the pilot…

My_Favorite_Martian_Ray_Walston_1963

12 Likes

Wow. Had no idea this show ever existed.

3 Likes

when I was a kid in Ann Arbor, Michigan, NASA’s Skylab satellite fell from orbit and it was a big news item. like a lot of college campuses, there’s a big rock that is used by the U of M students to paint messages on, usually fraternity letters or sports stuff, but political and human rights stuff, too; all kinds of messages. usually the painters just hit the broad side that faces the intersection.
as it happens, my elementary school was adjacent to this rock, so driving or walking by it happened several times a week.
one day shortly after the skylab disaster, we drove by and every inch of the rock had been painted chrome silver and in black, block letters across the front was “SKYLAB.”
never saw a better use of the rock before or since, nor at the uni I went to, either.

more Ann Arbor trivia: the former frat house that the MC5 bought for their quasi-commune headquarters is on one of the adjacent blocks. facing the rock, the street that goes left and on the opposite side. I made my mom point it out to me last time I was there, which she remembered as an occasional visitor back then. I want to say it is now used by the jewish student organization now, or some such.

6 Likes

It lasted less than a season, but I loved it as a kid. A prescient premise, too!

4 Likes

Should have put Kryptonian glyphs on it.

2 Likes

Came here for a “Salvage-1” reference; was not disappointed.

2 Likes

3f76s0

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.