Why (or why not) to vote for Hillary Clinton

@khepra - slight aside, but how do you feel about Cornel West being put on the DNC platform committee?

6 Likes

No, but the fact that she gave such a speech and is afraid to reveal details of it is very suspicious. She is asking us to help her become the most powerful human being on Earth, and you think she is playing some kind of game of “you show me yours”. That is almost worse than anything that is likely to be in the speeches.

The burden of proof is not on nemomen, who is not running for anything.

5 Likes

Well, he does seem to be Princess Pricklepants’ campaign manager…

10 Likes

Fair point. Behold our glorious future:

12 Likes

Well, this is the thing. If someone is running for president they might expect to be asked anything and everything. “What’s your favourite ice cream flavour?” “Chocolate”
“Why did you vote to go to war in Iraq?” “Based on the intelligence shared with us at the time I thought it was a necessary step, but I now regret the decision.”
“What did you tell Goldman Sachs execs behind closed doors, is it congruent with your publicly espoused policies and beliefs?” [crickets]

And then people are sexist for asking? What a deflection.

11 Likes
3 Likes

My opinion on Cornel West is-- that is who Bernie decided to pick.

One Bernie Sanders supporter I like “a lot” is the young, gifted and talented Ms.Simone Zimmerman. She is an outspoken and natural leader, who could one day, with gained political experience and refinement–be President of the United States.

http://www.truthrevolt.org/news/sanders-suspends-aide-critical-israel

…Ms. Zimmerman, who declined to comment, has been active in left-wing Jewish politics for years and came up in organizations such as J Street, but has also worked closely with Jewish synagogues in Los Angeles, and with young Jews on myriad trips to Israel. While the American Jewish establishment considers her and her allies radical, she and young Jewish activists argue that their disgust with the Netanyahu government’s policies is inching toward the mainstream…

http://ajpeacearchive.org/peace-pioneers1/simone-zimmerman/

…Zimmerman initially met with J Street campus organizer Daniel May in the winter of 2011. He invited her to speak at the March 2011 J Street National Conference on a panel entitled, “Who is Afraid of BDS?" to speak on her experiences at UC-Berkeley. That summer, Zimmerman attended a J Street U trip and in the fall she became a founder of the J Street U chapter at UC-Berkeley.

Zimmerman was elected as national president of J Street U for the 2012-13 school year. In the summer of 2014, she worked as staff on a Birthright program.

In July 2014, Zimmerman and some friends held a series of vigils advertised through social media to protest the Gaza War. That group, organized under the name, IfNotNow founded a grassroots Jewish movement dedicated to ending the Occupation…

4 Likes

Yeah, that ad is surprisingly stupid. I guess the Clinton campaign is trying to muddy the waters on the financial collapse issue, making it into a two-sides-to-every-story thing where people are encouraged to draw their own conclusions instead of look at facts since the facts are pretty bad for them.

I’m just waiting to see their positive ads.

3 Likes

Krebs has a fascinating article on a side vulnerability regarding the emails:

The Clinton email server had an internet based printer.

4 Likes

Why (** *** ***) to vote for Hillary Clinton

Because Bernie Sanders likes the decision by Hillary to include one democrat on her short list for V.P. running mate. According to Bernie Sanders, it would help Hillary appeal to his supporters if she selects a “hardline progressive” as her V.P. running mate.

Hey! :scream: What about Bernie?

I don’t think very many people who have been following the 2016 democratic presidential nomination process, would disagree that Bernie Sanders supporters believe he is (by far) the most “hardline progressive” in today’s Democratic Party.

…The Vermont senator was adamant that Clinton pick a hardline progressive for vice president if she successfully secures the Democratic nomination for president. This could help her appeal to the supporters who have flocked to Sanders’ campaign during the primary.

Asked whether Virginia senator Tim Kaine, who’s rumored to be on Clinton’s short list, is the kind of running mate he’s recommending, Sanders said, “I really like him very much,” but declined any further speculation…

:thinking:
…
:poop:

2 Likes

I think Vice President Al Franken has a nice ring to it.

2 Likes

Hey! :smiley: great suggestion for V.P.

Al Franken would be a great choice for V.P.

Franken is a “hardline progressive” and with his quick wit, would be great on the campaign trail and in the V.P. debate. He would also help win swing states like Florida and Ohio, given his Jewish ancestry and the potential Jewish voting electorate in Florida and northern Ohio.

I think that would make this the first U.S. Presidential election in which both parties had at least one member of the Screen Actors Guild on the ticket.

4 Likes

Interesting observation :thinking:

It would also be great for the upward social and cultural evolution of America, if after the Democratic Party produced the first U.S. President of African ancestry in 2008, to follow that up in 2016 by producing the first female :girl: U.S. President and first Jewish :man_with_gua_pi_mao: Vice-President.

Hillary-Franken 2016 :open_mouth:

Hillary-Sanders 2016 :scream:

2 Likes

That’s a rather sporty yarmulke.

4 Likes

I hadn’t thought of Franken, but he is probably a good person to consult on how to respond to Trump.

1 Like

That’s interesting, though I’m not seeing that much discussion of what the report on Clinton’s emails means in general. This is something I’ve always been watching with Clinton, it’s a known vulnerability that no one seemed to take seriously at all.

What I had wondered for quite a while was whether the email server was set up against the advice of civil servants or whether it was just some idiots doing a stupid thing all on their own. Now that I know it was set up against civil servant advice, that no approvals were ever sought, it really does negatively affect my opinion of Clinton. Obviously executives are there to make decisions, but executives who don’t listen to expert staff on administrative and security measures come across as the sort of people who prefer their own opinions to facts.

8 Likes

I was dubious when Clinton made the defensive comment that “none of the emails were marked as classified”. It’s technically up to the information holder to classify / designate information that they hold. If the Secretary of State couldn’t make a proper determination on such maters, she either slept through her briefings or just didn’t care. Add in the recent information about the server and it really reinforces the latter.

3 Likes