Why (or why not) to vote for Hillary Clinton

I guess I’d like to understand why the server existed in the first place. Presumably an email account was set up for her as Secretary of State, so why set up a personal server to do email on instead of just using the one you are given. I have never had a job where I thought, “Well, I have this perfectly good humbabella@domainname email address, but I think I’ll get my own server for my work email instead.” There are plenty of reasons not to set up your own email server and none to do it.

The only thing that comes to mind was that it was an attempt to avoid Freedom of Information.

2 Likes

The excuse I’ve heard given was that Clinton had grown accustomed to using her blackberry for email, and the official server wouldn’t allow her to connect that way. That being said, it seems completely ludicrous to take on the responsibility of maintaining and securing one yourself that’s completely outside of the normal system.

ETA: I suppose there could have been some thinking along the lines of “we already have this other email server, so problem solved.”

1 Like

I’d like to have some independent verification that the Secretary of State cannot use a blackberry to get email. It’s a statement that skirts the border of “so ridiculous it cannot be true” and “so ridiculous it almost has to be true.”

3 Likes

Her office was a SCIF. (Sensitive Campartmented Information Facility) In those sorts of installations you typically have terminals on dedicated networks. The “low side” network (unclassified information) connects to the internet through bastion hosts at certain locations and is heavily monitored. The “high side” network is air gapped and is for classified communication.

Obama was issued a “special” blackberry that was encrypted, but the story goes that Clinton asked for one and was denied.

4 Likes

First, Bernie Sanders stated, it would help Hillary appeal to his supporters, if she selects a “hardline progressive” as her V.P. running mate

Then yesterday we had Bernie give a interesting answer to the question, whether he would consider being Hillary Clinton’s V.P. running mate.

Speaking to MSNBC’s Chuck Todd Sunday, Sen. Bernie Sanders would not rule out accepting a hypothetical VP slot on a ticket with Democratic rival Hillary Clinton

Could Bernie Sanders be making the case for his selection as Hillary’s V.P. running mate?

Bernie continues to run a challenging, spirited and substantive campaign for the democratic presidential nomination. Gven the success and enthusiasm Bernie has generated during his campaign for the democratic presidential nomination-- Bernie should be afforded the opportunity of accepting or refusing the offer of being Hillary’s V.P. running mate.

Hillary Clinton has stated if she wins the democratic presidential nomination (the current math says she will ultimately be the democratic presidential nominee), she will sit down with Bernie to decide the next steps for the Democratic Party heading into the 2016 general election.

Bernie would make a great V.P. choice. He meets the first requirement for being a Vice-President, because he is qualified to become president. Bernie meets the second requirement as a V.P. running mate, because he would help win over working class voters in a swing state like Pennsylvania, as well as Midwestern swing states.

Bernie would not only be a historic V.P. choice because of his Jewish ancestry; his selection as Hillary’s V.P. running mate would help her win swing states like Florida and Ohio, where the Jewish vote has the potential to help propel to victory, the winner of those states in a close general election for president.

Hillary-Bernie 2016 :girl::older_man: experienced and qualified.

I understand having a FOIA-resistant server when doing a sensitive job. In working with other people in such a position you often need to have conversations with people – colleagues, underlings – where you can be informal and toss around ideas without worry that you will later be judged on the details of the conversation rather than the public outputs of the discussion. Traditionally you reserved this for F2F meetings, but email has increasingly become an extension of such meetings, and when your colleagues are scattered across the globe it is hugely convenient to use it as an asynchronous substitute for a conference call.

My daily email is subject to FOIA, and I’ve had it requested in the context of policy discussions. It can really stifle free conversations among people who need to be able to speak freely.

For me, the Goldman-Sachs speeches are a far bigger concern.

2 Likes

I do remember the hub bub surrounding Obama’s BB; I didn’t know that Clinton had the same problem. You’d think they could’ve accommodated her, too.

Yeah. I’ve only seen brief reference to it in the media. I’d like to know more about the decision not to give her one. Not that it’s important for me to know, it’s just an interesting detail.

3 Likes

Win or lose the email scandal will be dropped November 9th, because it’s a part of the largest fishing expedition I can remember the GOP focusing on. It’s been almost 4 years of the investigation that is ending with the private email server, because there are so many dry wells.

I am not a Hillary Clinton fan, but I’m sure as shit aware of what she has endured to get where she is. I remember being a kid and hearing other elementary school kids making Hillary Clinton jokes, and I can’t point to a single point in my life when that wasn’t the case. It’s an odd fixation.

If she was any good at campaigning this would all be moot anyways.

3 Likes

Great post.

Hillary Diane Rodham Clinton has been the target of politically motivated, disingenuous and relentless attacks over the last 4 years, for one reason and one reason only-- because republicans know she is a formidable candidate for President of the United States.

There is nothing criminal and no laws were broken regarding the email dissension. No one politicized “rules” being broken regarding email use when other republican Secretary of States or administration officials of Secretary of States, essentially did the same thing.
Why? because no one considered those individuals a formidable threat to become President of the United States.

The same thing applies to Benghazi, as no group of politicians or media entities like Fox News–in the same politically motivated, disingenuous and relentless fashion, attacked Ronald Reagan (the hero of today’s Republican Party) when this happened in 1983 during the administration of President Ronald Reagan.

Benghazi!

Imagine what the Republican Party and Fox News would be saying, if the most devastating terrorist attack on American citizens since 9/11, coupled with the bloodiest terrorist assault on Americans outside of the United States–had occurred under the administration of President Obama, while Hillary Clinton was Secretary of State.

Lebanon, Bombing of U.S. Embassy and Marine Barracks

On two occasions in 1983, terrorists bombed United States targets in Beirut, Lebanon. The first target, on April 18, was the U.S. embassy, where 63 people, including 17 Americans, were killed. Half a year later, on October 23, the terrorists struck again, this time at barracks that housed members of an international peacekeeping force sent to help restore order in the war-torn nation.

Killed in this second attack were 242 U.S. Marines, along with 58 French troops. Until September 11, 2001, the October 1983 assault would remain the most devastating terrorist attack on American citizens, and it remains the bloodiest terrorist assault on Americans outside of the United States. The group Islamic Jihad, affiliated with Hezbollah and ultimately Iran, claimed responsibility for both attacks.

A small list of the “scandals” that have hit the Clintons over the years:

1. Bill Clinton killed Vince Foster because he was having an affair with Hillary Clinton (Rep. Dan Burton/Accuracy in Media’s Reed Irvine/Anne Coulter/Christopher Ruddy/Rush Limbaugh)
  2. Hillary Clinton killed Vince Foster (Rush Limbaugh)
  3. Webb Hubbell is Chelsea Clinton’s real father (Robert Morrow)
  4. Hillary Clinton faked the flu, a concussion and a blood clot to delay her Benghazi testimony (John Bolton/Fox News’ Monica Crowley)
  5. Hillary Clinton really did have a blood clot and suffered lingering brain damage (Glenn Beck)
  6. Bill Clinton got the NTSB to rule TWA flight 800’s crash an accident to cover up an Islamic takeover of a US Military Vessel which launched a missile and and destroyed the plane (wnd’s Jack Cashill)
  7. The Clintons killed Commerce Secretary Ron Brown and 34 others by destroying their plane (Clinton Body Count)
  8. Bill Clinton killed Kathleen Willey’s cat (Kathleen Willey)
  9. Bill Clinton killed Kathleen Willey’s husband (Kathleen Willey)
  10. Hillary Clinton majored in lesbianism at Wellesley and has a sham marriage with Bill Clinton (Edward Klein)
  11. Bill Clinton used state troopers to set up sexual liaisons with thousands of women (David Brock)
  12. Bill Clinton fathered a black love child after luring a prostitute into a cocaine-fueled orgy (Robert McIntosh/Bobbie Ann Williams/Matt Drudge)
  13. Hillary Clinton decorated the White House Christmas tree with condoms and cock rings (FBI agent Gary Aldrich)
  14. Bill Clinton ran a multimillion-dollar cocaine smuggling ring while he was Governor of Arkansas (Jerry Falwell)
  15. Bill Clinton killed Kevin Ives and Don Henry because they found out about his cocaine smuggling ring (Rep. William Dannemeyer)
  16. Hillary Clinton as first lady had her own secret clandestine police force in the FBI, CIA and IRS to take care of her enemies (Barbara Comstock/David Brock)
  17. The Clintons were part of a Marxist terrorist plot to take over the country inspired by the Italian communist Antonio Gramsci (wnd’s Samuel Blumenfeld)
  18. Hillary Clinton took FBI files and used them to target her enemies (Sen. Orrin Hatch)
  19. The Clintons sent black helicopters to surveil K.T. McFarland (K.T. McFarland)
  20. The Clintons set Rush Limbaugh up for the painkiller drug bust by planting painkiller on him (Richard Poe)
  21. Hillary Clinton’s lover Huma Abedin are part of a women’s auxiliary of the Muslim Brotherhood and are secretly pushing us to put in place Sharia law (Rush Limbaugh/Rep. Michele Bachmann)
  22. Hillary Clinton became an Islamofascist because of a bribe she received from Iran (Judicial Watch founder Larry Klayman)
  23. Hillary Clinton shut down thousands of Christian churches (Kamal Saleem)
  24. Hillary and Bill Clinton are part of a race of blood-drinking extraterrestrial lizards in disguise that have controlled humanity since ancient times (David Icke)
  25. The Clintons are part of the illuminati that controls global finance and government
  26. Hillary Clinton helped funnel weapons to the Contras (The Nation’s Alexander Cockburn)
  27. The Clintons have been selling US prisoner’s blood to China (wnd’s Joseph Farah/Edward Klein)
  28. Hillary Clinton pushed a secret UN takeover of the Internet paid for by a secret tax on American billionaires (Dick Morris)
  29. Hillary Clinton is a tool of the Dark Lord Lucifer sent to oppose Jesus Christ in the Last Days (Ryan Zinke)
  30. Hillary Clinton forced Chelsea Clinton to get pregnant for the Presidential campaign (Fox News’ Howie Kurtz/Washington Free Beacon’s Michael Goldfarb/NYT’s Andrew Ross Sorkin/Steve Malzberg)
  31. Hillary Clinton hired a mentally ill woman to throw a sneaker at her while giving a speech to the Institute of Scrap Recycling Industries (Rush Limbaugh/Hermain Cain)
  32. Hillary Clinton and Barrack Obama switched sides on the war on terror and hired Islamic terrorists to kidnap Ambassador Chris Stevens from the embassy in Benghazi, Libya, but lost control of the situation (Accuracy in Media)
  33. Bill Clinton killed James McDougal in prison (Clinton Body Count)
  34. Bill Clinton gunned down Mary Mohane and two of her co-workers because she was about to testify about sexual harassment at the White House (Clinton Body Count)
  35. The media is suppressing information about Hillary Clinton’s long list of secret lovers (Matt Drudge)
  36. Bill Clinton ordered law enforcement officials to try to frame Richard Jewell for the 1996 Olympics bombing in Atlanta in order to suppress evidence that Islamic terrorists were being it no one would see 9/11 coming (wnd’s Jack Cashill)
  37. Bill Clinton has beaten and raped hundreds of prostitutes in Arkansas (Larry Nichols)
  38. Hillary Clinton and Barrack Obama paid Libyan militants to kidnap Ambassador Chris Stevens from the embassy in Benghazi in order to release terrorist Omar Abdel-Rahman in a fake prisoner swap (Judicial Watch’s Tom Fitton)
  39. Bill Clinton would regularly hide under a blanket to sneak out of the White House and go to the Marriott Hotel to meet a celebrity mistress (FBI agent Gary Aldrich)
  40. Hillary Clinton told the security staff of the embassy in Benghazi to stand down so that they would kill Ambassador Chris Stevens (“CIA officer”/Fox News’ & Accuracy in Media’s Wayne Simmons)

I don’t think there is a vast ring-wing conspiracy. There are however a shockingly large number of right-wing conspiracy theorists and partisan hacks who are happy to repeat their craziness.

5 Likes

Kaine is a miserable choice. Doesn’t strike me as a progressive. I’d rather have Sherrod Brown, except Kasich would pick his replacement, so no.

(and no to any other dismal centrists like Booker or nonentities like Castro)

I’ve linked to a couple of stories about Franken elsewhere. I don’t think he’d be awful but I don’t see it.

Sanders and Warren can get more done in the Senate than in the warm bucket of piss role.

Give Billybob the job and see what the supreme court make of it.

2 Likes

Or someone like this:

2 Likes

Number 25 is true, of course.

I didn’t believe #24 until I saw her cozying up with Henry Kissinger, praising Ronald Reagan, and hiring David Brock,

2 Likes

Of course that actually makes the wanting a private server thing even worse. If she couldn’t use a blackberry for good reason then circumventing that is pretty awful.

I think there is definitely a problem where FOI runs into technology that increasingly monitors our conversations. I think legislation needs to be updated. But “I just wanted a server so that I didn’t have to comply with the law” is a sketchy defense.

I definitely agree about Goldman-Sachs, though. Where’s FOI for that?

2 Likes

Why (** *** ***) to vote for Hillary Clinton

The 2016 Presidential Election will decide who appoints the next one, two or three U.S. Supreme Court Justices; and whether the U.S. Supreme Court is (heavily) liberal or dangerously conservative leaning-- I.e. 5-4, 6-3 or even 7-2.

Cases the U.S. Supreme Court will impact:

Overturning Citizens United.

Winning judicial challenges regarding equal pay for women and income inequality.

Withstanding judicial challenges to sensible gun control legislation.

Protecting Roe v. Wade.

Preventing the dismantling of the 1964 Civil Rights Act and 1965 Voting Rights Act.

Upholding presidential executive actions on immigration reform.

Withstanding judicial challenges to immigration reform.

Withstanding judicial challenges, aimed at overturning the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.

Protecting same-sex marriage and the republican assault on LGBTQ civil and human rights.

Etc…Etc.,.Etc…

Even Donald John Trump is aware of what is at stake, regarding the U.S. Supreme Court. The next president will also be charged with appointing lower court judges–which is as important (for the same reasons listed), as what president appoints U.S. Supreme Court Justices.

Except from the article: Is a new candidate going to enter the presidential race? - CBS News

…Donald Trump unleashed a series of tweets in response, insulting Kristol, and both badgering the GOP and calling on the party to unite against this unnamed new opponent. He also implied in his tweets that an independent run would mean a Clinton victory and a liberal nomination to the nation’s highest court…

Donald J. Trump :heavy_check_mark:‎@realDonaldTrump

If dummy Bill Kristol actually does get a spoiler to run as an Independent, say good bye to the Supreme Court!

7:02 PM - 29 May 2016
5,916 5,916 Retweets 15,713 15,713 likes

That’s what they said about the 2012 election.

2 Likes

Yea! :scream:

Since 2009 a democratic president named Barack Obama, has appointed two U.S. Supreme Court Justices and nominated a third in 2016. The U.S. Supreme Court is now 4-4–positioned to become 5-4 if Hillary Diane Rodham Clinton is elected president.

Presidential elections have consequences, especially who appoints U.S. Supreme Court Justices-- and as important, who appoints lower court justices, especially in the current event of a 4-4 U.S. Supreme Court, that deadlocks 4-4 on a case, where the lower court ruling will stand.

None since 2012.

1 Like

Great defining strategy on the part of Hillary Clinton and her campaign. The best way to show how racist, bigoted, sexist, uninformed, ineligible and unqualified Donald John Trump is–is to actually use his own expressed comments against him.

Expressed Trump comments that will continue to be never-ending, because of the intellectual dysfunction that marks his dippy, daft, warped and dangerous–social, cultural and political ideology.

https://www.hillaryclinton.com/briefing/updates/2016/06/02/trump-literally-said-all-those-things/