Why (or why not) to vote for Hillary Clinton

If sociopathic monsters from any of those countries endorsed someone I was considering voting for, it would make me think twice about my candidate; it certainly wouldn’t make me happy that we were now growing our tent to embrace such pathology.

7 Likes

:smile: Great news for the Clinton campaign, the Democratic Party, down ballot democrats–and the social and political future of America.

“This is not going to be an easy task and it’s going to take all of us rowing together,” Jeff Weaver said…

…The private conference call – which included top Democratic National Committee officials including chief of staff Brandon Davis and state party leaders – was led by DNC interim Chairwoman Donna Brazile, who had met with Weaver and Sanders’ top campaign adviser Mark Longabaugh earlier in the day. According to DNC officials, the three discussed Sanders’ schedule as well as voter mobilization among former Sanders supporters…

…“I know that sometimes in primaries there can be sharp elbows, and I hope I haven’t bumped into too many of you,” Weaver said on the call. “But as we go forward into the general election, I’m very happy to be working with members of the Clinton team in trying to get the secretary elected.”

Weaver noted that Sanders’ organization Our Revolution has raised nearly $300,000 for liberal Democratic down-ballot and congressional candidates…

More welcomed news for Hillary Clinton, former republican, now independent, and yet another influential African-American, Montel Williams, who has decided to vote for Hillary-Kaine.:woman::man:

Why (** *** ***) to vote for Hillary Clinton

…This isn’t just about my disagreements with Trump. I agree with Clinton on a host of social issues, from a woman’s right to choose (which I see as a fundamental liberty issue) to our right to marry whom we love, to reasonable gun safety measures (which I support as a proud, responsible gun owner).

Furthermore, like many seriously ill Americans, I rely on medical marijuana to treat the symptoms of my multiple sclerosis and applaud Clinton’s proposal on marijuana, which would catalyze research and spur approval of new marijuana-based medicines while respecting the policies that voters in 25 states have approved.

I’m also guided by Hillary’s support for LGBT equality, including in all forms of public accommodation. As a black American who grew up under Jim Crow, I am dedicated to ensure that the law never again permits discrimination. This issue is a moral one and a red line for me. Even if I agreed with Trump on every other issue, I could never support his vice presidential choice — Mike Pence — who has championed deplorable discrimination against the LGBT community…

The following anti-Trump campaign initiated by the Clinton campaign; is hilarious :smile: and will prove to be effective.

Because, in line with historical precedent for a presidential candidate running in a general election, she has released to the American people–multiple years of her tax returns.

The Democratic Party on Thursday rolled out its latest trick to pressure Donald Trump to release his tax returns, sending a mascot known as “Donald Ducks” to follow the Republican presidential candidate along the campaign trail…

…,The mascot, which the Democratic National Committee refers to as “Mr. Ducks,” also released a statement on the issue.

“What is he trying to hide? Is it because he’s not as rich as he says?” Mr. Ducks said in a statement. “Is it because he doesn’t donate to charity like he says? Is it because he doesn’t pay any taxes? Is it because he has foreign investments that could compromise national security? Whatever it is, it’s no excuse. Donald Trump should stop ducking and release his tax returns to the American people.”.,.

Someone in another thread was claiming that only a few dozen people walked out after Hillary Clinton was selected as the nominee, and mocking people who said there were more.

So I just thought I’d leave this here, since the other thread’s locked now.

4 Likes

Not sure if the Clinton campaign’s strategy of laying low last week, will prove to be a political miscalculation. Donald Trump dominated the news cycle last week, giving the republican nominee for president, the equivalent of a uncontested and unchallenged public relations blitz, with the potential of resulting in a second GOP Convention like bump in the national and battleground polls. Hope this does not prove to be the case.

Hillary, her campaign and surrogates need to start refuting some of the recent alt-right, disingenuous, and misleading talking points, Donald Trump and his surrogates have been spewing.

• If the poverty rate of minorities are a concern, then quit opposing unions that negotiate higher wages, support equal pay for women that will raise their wages–and support raising the minimum wage to $12 and preferably $15 an hour; which would immediately (based on family size and hours worked) lift the majority of people working in poverty level jobs, that pay $8 or $9 an hour, above the poverty line.
  • If minorities should reject democrats because they have failed them, then why should people living in republican controlled states like Mississippi, Louisiana, Tennessee, Alabama etc, states that are below the median family income continue to vote for Donald Trump or any republican.

The median family income in America is $53,046. When you average the median family income of states controlled by republican legislators, the average median family income for those states is around $49,000. The median family incomes of states controlled by democratic legislators is around $59,500.

When Bill Clinton was president the median family income in America reached a high near $57, 000. Many of Bill Clinton’s economic policies will be immulated by a Hillary Clinton administration, while continuing the successful economic policies of the administration of President Obama.

Click visualization or table icon for state median family incomes.

*If republicans want to bring up the current U-6 unemployment rate (9.7), as a example of what the real unemployment rate is, then let the American public know what it was in October of 2009, at the height of the economic recession President Obama inherited from–and caused by the republican administration of George W. Bush–17.1

*The (official) U-3 unemployment rate currently stands at 4.9, down from 10.0 in October of 2009–and wages are rising. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, adult minority unemployment rates have significantly dropped since 2009.

http://www.bls.gov/opub/ted/2011/mobile/ted_20111005.htm

Unemployment rates continued to be higher for Blacks and Hispanics for both men and women. In 2010, the rates for Black men and women were 18.4 and 13.8 percent, respectively. The jobless rate for Hispanic men was 12.7 percent, and the rate for Hispanic women was 12.3 percent. In comparison, the unemployment rate for White men was 9.6 percent, and the rate for White women was 7.7 percent. The unemployment rates for Asian men and women were 7.8 and 7.1 percent, respectively.

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.t02.htm
http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.t03.htm

July 2016: 8.2, 7.3 for adult African-American men and women respectively.
July 2016: 4.7, 5.3 for adult Hispanic/Latino men and women respectively.

*Record breaking 70 onsecutive month’s of job growth.

*Compare the American GDP growth against the unprecedented recession President Obama inherited not only in America but world wide, no other presidents with the exception of FDR, who inherited a depression. Compare America against the rest of the world.

Venezuela 6.80 Dec/13
Bangladesh 6.51 Dec/15
Vietnam 5.55 Jun/16
Sri Lanka 5.50 Mar/16
Angola 4.90 Dec/15
Cape Verde 4.50 Dec/14
Morocco 4.50Dec/15
Pakistan 4.24 Dec/15
Indonesia 4.02Jun/16
Algeria 4.00 Dec/14
Macedonia 3.90Mar/14
United Arab Emirates 3.90 Dec/15
Egypt 3.80Dec/15
Mongolia 3.10Mar/16
Rwanda 2.35 Dec/15
India 2.10Mar/16
Botswana 1.80Mar/16
China 1.80Jun/16
Philippines 1.80Jun/16
Costa Rica 1.75Mar/16
Moldova 1.70 Mar/16
Hong Kong 1.60 Jun/16
Serbia 1.60Mar/16
El Salvador 1.55Dec/15
Romania 1.50 Jun/16
Saudi Arabia 1.50 Mar/16
Tanzania 1.50Sep/10
Bosnia and Herzegovina 1.30Mar/16
Kazakhstan 1.26 Dec/13
Albania 1.20 Mar/16
United States 1.20Jun/16
Australia 1.10 Mar/16
Ghana 1.10 Mar/16
Hungary 1.10 Jun/16
Norway 1.00 Mar/16
Bahrain 0.90 Mar/16
Czech Republic 0.90 Jun/16
Israel 0.90Jun/16
Mauritius 0.90Mar/16
Poland 0.90 Jun/16
Slovakia 0.90 Jun/16
Paraguay 0.80Mar/16
Thailand 0.80 Jun/16
Turkey 0.80 Mar/16
Bulgaria 0.70 Jun/16
Cyprus 0.70 Jun/16
Denmark 0.70Mar/16
Luxembourg 0.70 Mar/16
Malaysia 0.70Jun/16
New Zealand 0.70 Mar/16
South Korea 0.70 Jun/16
Spain 0.70Jun/16
Canada 0.60 Mar/16
Croatia 0.60 Apr/16
Netherlands 0.60 Jun/16
Ukraine 0.60 Jun/16
United Kingdom 0.60 Jun/16
Belgium 0.50 Jun/16
Slovenia 0.50 Mar/16
European Union 0.40Jun/16
Germany 0.40Jun/16
Latvia 0.40Jun/16
Tunisia 0.40Mar/16
Austria 0.30Jun/16
Estonia 0.30Jun/16
Euro Area 0.30Jun/16
Finland 0.30 Jun/16
Greece 0.30Jun/16
Malta 0.30Mar/16
Singapore 0.30Jun/16
Sweden 0.30 Jun/16
Colombia 0.20Mar/16
Portugal 0.20 Jun/16
Taiwan 0.15 Jun/16
Lithuania 0.10Jun/16
Switzerland 0.10 Mar/16
Uruguay 0.10 Mar/16
Cameroon 0.05Dec/15
France 0.00Jun/16
Italy 0.00 Jun/16
Japan 0.00Jun/16
Mozambique 0.00 Jun/16
Peru 0.00Mar/16
Trinidad And Tobago -0.10Dec/15
Mexico -0.20Jun/16
Brazil -0.30Mar/16
Chile-0.40Jun/16
Iceland -0.50Mar/16
Qatar -0.50Dec/15
Bolivia -0.56Mar/16
Russia -0.57Sep/15
Jamaica -0.60Mar/16
Argentina -0.70Mar/16
Belize -1…07Mar/16
South Africa -1.20Mar/16
Uganda -1.30Mar/16
Kenya -1.40Mar/16
Namibia -1.60Mar/16
Dominican Republic -1.67Mar/16
Ecuador -1.90Mar/16
Ireland -2.10Mar/16
Nigeria -13.70Mar/16
Senegal -14.10

Currently Donald Trump and his surrogates in the media have been asking what has Hillary Clinton and Bill Clinton ever done to help minorities.

Hillary should make sure any surrogate representing her in the media identity the following things she and Bill have done over their lifetimes, that has positively impacted the lives of minorities and all poor and working-class Americans in general.

Hillary’s surrogates should contrast what Hillary and Bill Clinton have done to positively impact the lives of millions of minorities, as well as all poor and working-class Americans-- in contrast to what Donald and Melania Trump have done.

*Worked undercover to expose racism, discrimination, bigotry and segregation.

*Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP)

*Children’s Defense Fund
http://www.childrensdefense.org/newsroom/cdf-in-the-news/press-releases/2013/honoring-hillary-clinton.html

*Clinton Foundation has positively impacted and saved the lives of people of color around the world and in America–millions of lives.
https://www.clintonfoundation.org/

*Raised millions in dollars for the United Negro College Fund (UNCF) and Bush-Clinton Katrina Fund.

https://www.philanthropy.com/article/Former-Presidents-Raise-Money/197881

The United Negro College Fund raised $4-million in emergency scholarship funds immediately after the hurricanes hit, and Michael L. Lomax, the organization’s president, said his group hopes to raise an additional $10-million with help from the former presidents. Mr. Bush and Mr. Clinton helped raise $30-million for Gulf Coast colleges and universities through their Bush-Clinton Katrina Fund, a nonprofit organization the two men set up to provide grants to charities assisting survivors of the hurricanes.

What has Donald and Melania Trump done to positively impact the lives of minorities and poor and middle-class Americans in general?

Trump out of desperation has resorted to openly patronizing, disrespecting and insulting the intelligence of minorities–while simultaneously hiring the Executive Chairman of Breibart News.

Looking forward to Hillary Clinton’s speech this Thursday, on Donald Trump and the extreme and bigoted alt-right conspiracy halfwits, that have infested his campaign–and are now playing a major role in running his presidential campaign.

That would probably be me, though I didn’t mock anybody, just pointed out that estimates from legit media (including, eg, Mother Jones) were under 100. But now you’re scavenging wacko right-wing outlets like dailywire for your information?

2 Likes

Because Hillary Clinton and the Democratic Party embraces and respects ethnic diversity, while Donald Trump and the Republican Party embodies disrespect, discrimination and ethnic exclusion.

Donald Trump has used words that express disdain for minorities, while also embracing the altright Breitbart News into his presidential campaign. No hollow and disingenuous words will convince a significant number of minorities to vote for Donald Trump.

Hillary Clinton has engaged, built a credible, consistent and long lasting bridge to minority voters. Donald Trump has burned his bridges to the vast majority of minority voters—who will never “Take Him Back.”

The Clintons built minorities a bridge, alright. A bridge to prison.

1 Like

The problem is, that line of attack did not work in the democratic presidential primaries–and it won’t work in the presidential general election. Single issue political talking points, that oversimplify the facts surrounding complex and comprehensive social issues, don’t resonate with the vast majority of informed minority voters.

When you help people on a comprehensive and grassroots-kitchen table level, they will support you. Hillary Diane Rodham Clinton has and will continue to have overwhelming support from the vast majority of minorities in America.

Hillary has engaged and earned the support of minorities in America. This is a fact.

If minority voters had been informed, primaries would have turned out very differently.

You Clintonistas are all alike. Every criticism is a ‘line of attack’. Clinton’s (and her supporters) irritatingly zesty eagerness to deflect any legitimate criticisms or questions grates. Please abstain from replying to my posts with your cut and paste campaign propaghanda. Might be different if this was Breitbart, but it’s BoingBoing. Almost everybody here is going to vote for HRC. Why can’t we be honest about her flaws here, ffs.

3 Likes

I have to say this is something I have a real softspot for.

1 Like

I purposely used right-wing coverage of a left-wing eyewitness, because I thought that might prevent attempts at argumentum ad hominem. Didn’t work, though.

How do you propose that the video was faked, if it’s not real? Do you have a convincing argument to make that the video’s presenter would fake evidence at all? What’s his motive; why would he lie when he’s a Democratic supporter?

I enjoy reading Mother Jones and have given them money. But given the 2010 JournoList scandal, and the FNP’s goal of shaping public perceptions and influencing elections, I can’t consider them unbiased. The fact that my own ideology mirrors their reporting interests makes them a more suspect source of information than media that disagree with my political and economic beliefs.

What you used was a link from one strongly anti-Clinton media outlet to a strongly anti-Clinton’s eyewitness video. What does "wing"ness have to do with it? If you search for the video online one finds that the people linking it are wacko right-wingers and Stein supporters. Interesting bedfellows.

How do you propose that the video was faked, if it’s not real?

The video doesn’t show half the DNC walking out, it shows a lot of empty seats, mainly in the CA delegation. I don’t know how many of those seats were filled the instant before the nomination, we only have the commentary from the person filming.

Even if the video showed what you think it does, I don’t get the point of Stein and Trump supporters pushing it. Is the claim that most of the convention delegates were not for Clinton? We know that’s false, Clinton won by a solid margin. Is it that many Sanders delegates, chosen from among his most passionate supporters, were unhappy to see Clinton win? No surprise there either. Is it that these delegates were kind of immature and maybe sore losers? You tell me.

1 Like

ETA: “The fact that my own ideology mirrors their reporting interests makes them a more suspect source of information…” That’s not how confirmation bias works. If a source that usually supports your worldview reports something with which you _dis_agree, that’s the opposite of confirmation bias.

1 Like

I don’t know, you brought it up.

If the video shows what it appears to, then your (?) claims that almost nobody walked out are false. The prior discussion of this had no photos or videos presented as evidence, so I thought people would like to have this data.

When one is aware of the existence of confirmation bias, which is an unconscious bias, one strives to subvert it consciously, which is what I do when reading Mother Jones.

I am not advocating for or against Hillary Clinton. In another thread, I am advocating for Jill Stein, as you know.

[quote=“Medievalist, post:1154, topic:72574”]
If the video shows what it appears to, then your (?) claims that almost nobody walked out are false.[/quote]

All I did in that other thread was respond to a post that thousands had walked out with some sources for the more likely number of 100 or fewer. I’m not really sure why it was brought up then either. Showing a lot of empty seats without a “before” shot isn’t evidence of much.

When one is aware of the existence of confirmation bias, which is an unconscious bias, one strives to subvert it consciously, which is what I do when reading Mother Jones.

That’s a good strategy when reading stories that support views with which which you and MJ agree. When MJ reports something not consistent with your view, then abandoning this source you normally respect for a video from a Sanders supporter that is reposted on Stein and Breitbart sites is just falling prey to bias again.

2 Likes

I haven’t offered any opinion on what people should believe about this, and I doubt I ever will.

It was shown to me by a cow-orker who is a 76ers fan, because of the 76ers joke in it.

I don’t particularly care who did or didn’t walk out of the convention, but I thought other people might like to see the video, given the existence of the previous argument.

1 Like

Sometimes thread closure is a good way to help pointless arguments die.

2 Likes