Why Q was illegal in Turkey until last month

[Permalink]

Time for these three to celebrate!

5 Likes

ĂĽ is a new letter? That will come as a big surprise to all the BrĂĽlls out there.

1 Like

And don’t forget these guys!

1 Like

I am concerned. How do they subtitle their Bond movies?

Fun fact: Q, V, and X don’t exist in the Polish alphabet. They aren’t illegal, though.

Clearly this is the result of a huge lobbying campaign by Jim Henson’s Children’s Television Workshop. The Turkish government has been in the pocket of Big Bird for too long. #OccupySesameStreet

2 Likes

There’s got to be a decent “Fuh-Q” joke in there somewhere…

1 Like

I am shocked and appalled.

The Russians, now Communist, were reforming the alphabet in Central Asia through the 20s and 30s, though they were using Cyrillic. There were a lot of bloody arguments about the G sound, if I remember correctly.

Another thing to consider, aside from printing, was telegraphy. Back then, the Morse Code was a real thing, and if you didn’t have a latin alphabet, you had to resort to some ad hoc scheme. If you wanted to use a teletype machine, you had to latinize or invent your own. (Yes, the Japanese invented their own telegraphic schemes, but Japan was also industrializing in a way that Turkey was not.)

The Turks were always very progressive technologically. The cannon was invented in Europe, but the Turks were the great non-European cannon builders of the 15th & 16th centuries. They installed the first printing press in the Arab world.

One might even say it will come as an “überraschung.”

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.