Why Ren and Stimpy was one of the greatest cartoon series ever

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DeVM1nUmDHHc&ved=0ahUKEwjA7ZjEm7fLAhUB1RoKHaxjB7YQtwIILjAG&usg=AFQjCNE0FETwrrKjLvcUFxtH-NutJQKbRQ&sig2=wl2oAYFSlzDYzERQPbcmdg
Good to annoy people with.

1 Like

9 Likes

To be fair, Ren and Stimpy came out of Spike & Mikeā€™s sick and twisted animation festival.

The first 6 episodes of R&S were amazing but it was bound to tear itself apart. Animation is a gestalt of the whole team and without Kricfalusi it didnā€™t work and when Kricfalusi was given a new show and all the control it really didnā€™t work.

I conciser the Ren & Stimpy: Adult Party Cartoon episode ā€œRen Seeks Helpā€ possibly as one of the worst things ever animated.

3 Likes

Thanks. Never seen that before. Awesome!!

1 Like

4 Likes

As did Beavis and Butthead, IIRC

2 Likes

ā€œRalph Bash-keeā€??? This guy canā€™t even read. Heā€™s also might have thought to look up how to pronounce Kricfalusiā€™s name, if he admires him so much. Itā€™s ā€œkriss-fah-loo-seeā€.

3 Likes

I remember that. Every day also started with either four or five hours of ā€œPinwheelā€, which was mainly British cartoons for very young kids strung together with some live-action segments. After that theyā€™d get around to the stuff for tweensā€“You Canā€™t Do That On Television and Lights, Camera, Action! hosted by Leonard Nimoy, and old after-school specials.

The great thing about the lack of ads was that sometimes in between regular shows they showed some really offbeat cartoons and short films like Robert Swartheā€™s ā€œKick Meā€. I doubt there was a lot of thought put into the choices. It seems like someone just pulled it out and said, ā€œItā€™s a cartoon! You knowā€“for kids!ā€

1 Like

Why? Because Ren sounded like Peter Lorre!

2 Likes

They had great imports under the aegis of ā€œThe Third Eyeā€. Classic TV childrenā€™s horror
-Under the Mountain
-Children of the Stones (I think they did that one too)

1 Like

Just came here to show my support for Ren & Stimpy seasons 1 & 2. It has defined cartoons for the last 2 decades.

YES! They did Children of the Stones which, in spite of the special effects, still holds up really well. And Under The Mountain was so cool I drove my parents bonkers trying to find a copy of Maurice Geeā€™s novel.

Some of the other ā€œThe Third Eyeā€ stories were less memorable but when Ron Moody passed away last June I was thrilled that YouTube had every episode of Into The Labyrinth, with him as the great wizard Rothko.

1 Like

I recently re-viewed Children of the Stones (Youtube had the entire series). It was really played up the aural creepiness. Chanting in the background during one episode was definitely unnerving. It was also fun to see pre-Blakes 7 Gareth Thomas playing someone who was not so glum and serious.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.