Why "reopening" the economy won't save the economy

I know I’m not the only one thinking: the real plan here is to cause so much chaos that by November Trump will have ample cause to suspend the election.

An idiot always gets found out; you can’t “fake it” forever, especially in the face of an overwhelming natural disaster. Since there’s no way to clean up the mess, why not just make it worse and, like a rugby scrum, try and take the ball back in the ensuing maelstrom.

17 Likes

That would imply an affinity for long-term strategic planning. There are conservatives who are capable of this—the Federalist Society’s generation-long plan to reshape the courts, for example—but I don’t see that kind of mentality from Trump or the MAGA set.

14 Likes

[Narrator: They didn’t.]

5 Likes

60% of small businesses bankrupting/closing presently. Of those that survive the shutdown, 80% are expected to close/bankrupt after the shutdown is ended because the people continue to avoid going out and so the cities remain void of customers. When the theatres finally open and they release a year’s worth of blockbusters at once, people will still not want to take the costly theatre risk, and by then, are sick and tired of streaming movies for months, and they would be broke, as well, and so all the blockbuster movies to be released months from now as delayed are expected to bomb at the box office before the last theatres close and the studios start looking at bankruptsy for not releasing media direct to digital back now when people were hungering for it and had the time and money to watch.

Face it.
The economy is over.

4 Likes

Well, no, the economy isn’t “over,” it’s just going to be significantly smaller than it was for some time, and it won’t look the same if/when it grows again. People will still have to eat, they will still want to buy stuff, and they will still have babies.

12 Likes

7 Likes

My home and my car are my bubbles until there is a vaccine.

The upkeep and enhancement of those bubbles is what is going to help re-inflate whatever economy is left in the World.

Trains, planes, hotels, restaurants, concerts, etc. are just going to have to wait.

8 Likes

Not if the medical bills have anything to say about it (and in the U.S. they always do).

8 Likes

The election is only months away. It’s not really long term strategic anymore, it’s immediate and tactical now. And T**** is motivated to win the election, not least because he want’s to stay out of prison.

And the GOP and T**** are well practiced now at exploiting the chaos and uncertainty that they cause. They’re not even fussy about the specifics of the chaos, any chaos will suffice and they’re shameless about exploiting it.

14 Likes

Only???

We have to survive until then, and some folks seem hellbent on hindering that survival…

13 Likes

Sorry. I didn’t mean to be flippant.

8 Likes

I know you didn’t; I just can’t escape the apparent reality there are mutherfuckas out there not just hoping for the death of others who aren’t like themselves… but they actively are trying facilitate it.

Unfuck them all, I’m surviving out of sheer spite if need be.

19 Likes

I agree. I think there is a coordinated plan to encourage as much death and disruption as possible.

I think a smart person can see that opening the economy too early will only prolong and increase the disaster and there are some smart people among the GOP and its paymasters.

I feel for those protesters that are trying to save their own businesses. The woman with the shocking roots problem, not so much.

But I believe that for the most part, those protesters are being manipulated in the interest of maximum disruption. Opening the economy? It’s not about that at all.

I hope I’m wrong.

8 Likes

I want to survive this just to see what weird shit is coming next!

8 Likes

I concur; they are idiotic marionettes willfully endangering themselves, those they care about and everyone they encounter.

8 Likes

Facts: Your spending is my income, debts that can’t be repaid won’t be repaid, 20% of the country own 80% of the wealth which is another way of saying that the 80% is indebted to the 20%. A ruinous prospect looms.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t consider it a mere line. The Federal Reserve has a specific policy, called The Wealth Effect that is designed to save the economy by giving money over to asset holders (paper wealth) and not laborers.

It was a stated policy in 2008 - beyond and even if it is unstated, it is a real policy of the U.S. Federal Reserve.

3 Likes

Dead people stop to work and stop to buy.
People that have lost their job, stop to work and are spending less.
People still with jobs will anyway stop to go to crowded places, have changed the habits. Afetr a month of lock down, instead of going to venues or in pubs I dusted my 2m transceiver and started to chat on repeaters after some times, And after some chat I just bought a DMR HT I suppose that for some time I’ll go in the “shack” instead of going to resturants.

3 Likes

So it’s not a current right wing talking point about letting people literally die?

Cause that’s what I was talking about. The actual argument that is actually being made, that people’s lives should be sacrificed to prop up the economy.

This is not the same as a general theory on where money should be put to stimulate the economy.

Far as I know. No it doesn’t. It’s a general concept in economics vis a vis spending behavior.

And while it is used as an argument for that whole trickle down thing we can’t shake. That isn’t what it means.

1 Like

Or we could keep most businesses closed, be proactive on grants and loans to small businesses, save lives, figure out work arounds to keep people fed and housed, and completely restructure things later in a way that doesn’t put profits ahead of people.

19 Likes