Why stepping on Legos hurts like hell

I think playing with Lego so much as a child is a reasonable explanation for why I tend to wear shoes in my house. My Canadian and Asian friends never understood. I just told them that maybe it was an American thing, but I was never convinced myself.

3 Likes

My favorite Greek philosopher is Bophides.

Bophides Testikles.

6 Likes

There’s a reason jacks aren’t popular anymore, and it’s they are 100 times more painful to step on than LEGO.
Source: Played with both as a…hell, still play with them.

6 Likes

That’s basically what they say in the video right off the bat.

The reason is Lego is left lying around on the floor while nothing else comparatively painful to that is. Anything else with that hardness and sharp edges is picked up off the floor before people step on them.

Then the rest of the video just says why stepping on things in general can hurt so much.

2 Likes

That’s the main reason, coupled with how hard they are and most importantly they are commonly left lying around on the floor while other dangerous things like that are generally picked up.

1 Like

It is not just a British thing, it is a LEGO thing. The company itself hates the Legos/Legoes plural.

5 Likes

I was thinking you could describe the pain as pretty bad but gets over quickly. Or maybe just hurts like hell.

If QI says it’s ok then it’s ok by me.

Octupuses or Octopodes

The plural of octopus is ‘octopuses’, not ‘octopi’ - if you were being pedantic you’d have to opt for ‘octopodes’ as the etymology of the word is from the Greek okto (eight) and pous (foot) not from any Latin word which might have a plural ending in -i. If the word were Latin, it would be octopes (‘eight-foot’) and the plural octopedes, analogous to centipedes and millipedes.

http://qi.com/infocloud/octopuses

You think that’s bad? Try stepping on one of these:

These are training mats for keeping pets away from things like doors. We have these by our front door to try to keep our cats from hanging out there. I’ve stepped on them a couple of times in stocking feet and it hurts like an absolute motherfucker. Those little spikes have absolutely zero give.

As for the cats, we’ve caught them laying on the mats and walking on them like it ain’t no thing. Little fuckers.

13 Likes

22 Likes

Nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior! - Catullus.

4 Likes

I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure.

2 Likes

Gold star! And another!

I’m pretty sure that there are approximately 3 English speakers that actually use ‘Octopodes’. In fact, I’d suggest that it it an excellent word for the fish/sheep/moose treatment. One octopus, ten octopus.

1 Like

4 Likes

No it’s not a british thing, it’s a bad english thing

2 Likes

Octoπ?
3.14159265359 times eight.

5 Likes

I was starting to wonder if I didn’t put an S on it because of a weird Maritime linguistic thing. We don’t even put an S on beer.

One beer.
Two beer.
Three beer.
Hear hear!

Glad to see everyone else is disgusted by Legos.

4 Likes

That’d be ‘beersies’

http://www.alcohol.org.nz/resources-research/campaigns/not-beersies

3 Likes

Legoless!

3 Likes

Here’s a better question - Did anybody really need it explained to them?
(Sorry, ok I forgot… as the internet has proven, so many times, the answer is yes).

2 Likes