Why the Enterprise bridge on Star Trek: TOS doesn't actually face forward

And where and when did they go to the bathroom?

What about the cleaning, when did maintenance or housekeeping come in and clean the bridge and bathrooms?

So many questions.

6 Likes

IIRC Matt Jeffries was against windows and exposed machinery on the outside of the ship, for the obvious in-universe reasons that they’d be vulnerable to impacts from radiation, meteoroids, and enemy action, and that the least a shipbuilder could do was put some metal between the astronauts and their worst nightmares

Unfortunately this made for a boring-looking model, so he was eventually outvoted

Many of the alien ships on the series didn’t have much external detail, though, which both saved money and made Jeffries happy :rocket:

6 Likes

The Franz Josef Designs blueprints of the ship from TOS include an “emergency bridge” on Deck 7 and an “auxiliary bridge” on Deck 10. Not sure if those plans are considered canonical or not.

1 Like

Bah, they didn’t have surge protection. All consoles explode in a regular basis.

7 Likes

straight above center there’s a gigantic window ( transparent aluminum i imagine )

but actually, at least in tos, i always imagined the view screen doubled as a window, with some sort of lensing for “magnify!”

11 Likes
9 Likes

In the pilot, you can actually see through the dome on the top into the bridge set.

I don’t think that shot was aligned properly in any way shape or form.

9 Likes

If you’re talking about the various moments when people are inside spaceship hangers with an obvious open view of space on one end it’s generally explained in the extended canon that there is a shield; often called a mag(netic) shield, at the opening keeping the atmosphere in. One of those rule of cool things that most are willing to accept at face value.

The presence of the shield is often denoted by a blue-white glow outline effect as such:

11 Likes

“Engage Drift Mode, Mr Sulu!”

“Aye, Captain, Drift Mode Engaged!”

10 Likes

https://gcaptain.com/vacuum-cleaner-sparked-400m-naval/

Preliminary findings indicate the fire started in a vacuum cleaner used to clean worksites at end of shift, and stored in an unoccupied space. Specific details as to the cause and subsequent damage assessment are still being evaluated as part of on-going investigations and will be released at a later date.

still, the navy persists in “cleaning” things (45 minutes per day + occasional “field days”), heedless of the danger.

https://www.navy.mil/Press-Office/News-Stories/Article/2250506/cleaning-up-shop-field-days/

7 Likes

At least he got all those tubes named after him

10 Likes

I believe they also implied Data took command of the bridge during the night shift in TNG (an ideal officer for the job given that he doesn’t require sleep).

9 Likes

The hangers are specifically shown like that in The Orville. Not that The Orville is anything like Star Trek, of course.

2 Likes

What about that documentary about those poor people stranded on Gilligan’s Island?

4 Likes

Data often had third watch, presumably because he didn’t need sleep. Beyond that, it was probably the “lower decks” kind of new junior officers that got that rotation.

7 Likes

Transporters

3 Likes

A rivalry between the day shift and the night shift is a recurring plot point in Lower Decks. Although, of course this isn’t about the bridge crew.

6 Likes

I owe you a drink.

2 Likes

I told them to go with the Kobold over the Hoover. Or at least the Sebo. But nooo…

3 Likes

Did you never see the spin-off series, Star Trek: Night Crew?

15 Likes