Why the Hobbit movies were such a mess

Padding, padding, padding everywhere. It is clear from minute 1 that the decision to make 3 films was coming from the top “let’s make another ton of cash and keep this rig spinning until it blows”

So let’s start being literal to the book, going over every chapter and showing it in the screen verbatim (that scene with dwarves cleaning up… genius mate, good work), but then towards the middle we will have to divert from the story to include the big cameos, Elrond, Saruman, Galadriel, they are famous now, so we have to give them screen time, a lot of screen time

Don’t forget we are making films for the wider audience, not only the freaks that read the books 50 times, so let’s patch a love story right in the middle and make it tragic, what about an elf-on-dwarf action? Now, that’s a rule 34 if I’ve ever seen one

The bit about Moria? we have the technology now, so let’s make the whole thing as credible as a grand theft auto video in youtube . But what about the dragon?, the very same entity that caused havoc in the distant past and brought misery and terror to thousands… it has served its purpose now, so it will be dispatched in a minute, like a nit, off you go, we hardly knew ye.

And now, let’s focus on the final battle, we have to make it big, but it can’t be bigger than the one in Pelennor Fields, so what can we do? I know, lets steal them big worms out of Dune’s ass and plonk them right in the middle. What? giant worms? yeah mate, we’ll say everybody forgot about them, so let’s get cracking

But Mr Jackson, this battle is only going to last 5 - 10 minutes max, and we have 40 minutes of movie to fill left, so what are we going to do? No problem my dear chums, we can get some dwarves to form a crack commando and have a little seek and destroy mission on the side, something epic and tear-jerking to finish off. And don’t forget our signature ending, you think this is it, but we still have to show you the return home journey, fixing some shit with the neighbours, cook dinner and go over the past due bills in the post. End credits… DONE!

5 Likes

Like trying to turn A Christmas Carrol into The Ten Commandments.

Star Wars prequel syndrome?

1 Like

At least they cast a sexy dwarf for it.

1 Like

How about recutting the mess and bring it back to a reasonable 90 minutes?

1 Like

I like making up fun replacements when people self-censor on the interwebs. I am easily amused. (PS - thanks for adding the extra star for shit, it helped)

I have nothing interesting to say about the Hobbit movies, since I find nothing interesting about them

Dude you can fucking swear here… Not like any of us give a shit about ‘bad’ words. Just don’t sound like Father Jack and all should be good.

6 Likes

That is always my assumption when I see some doofy action scene that seems like something out of a game.

I’ve been chewed out on several occasions, actually.

Well fuck those arseholes :smile:

Ex-fing-scuse me?!

I didn’t say that. @gomezlopez_javier did. I just quoted him in my response, which was about sexy dwarves. Sexy, sexy dwarves.

I’d read the Hobbit more than 50 times by the age of 10, I reckon.

Sorry was just pulling your leg. Couldn’t resist. With apologies, after LOR (which I read during the period after my parents’ divorced, so I was never going to love it) couldn’t face The Hobbit.

1 Like

Are you sure you can’t be tempted by sexy dwarves?

Sorry to hear about your parents ruining LOTR for you. Everyone really recognises that The Silmarillion is a much more fun, accessible book.

4 Likes

agreed.

3 Likes

I’m holding back on those carts and shoots, both the dudes I’m gunning for are actual bona fide Knights and may have access to five armies of minimum wage workers to have a go at me. Very small country this.

I see what you did there, you sexy beast.

4 Likes

They should just make a movie about the eagles.

1 Like

And explain why they won’t fly very far or anywhere useful?

2 Likes

Birds don’t scale well. Giant Eagles struggle to lift their own body weight, let alone fly.

3 Likes