Why The NYT buying The Wirecutter is such a big deal

I’ve yet to see that happen when The Times gets involved with something. Look where FiveThirtyEight is now. The times involvement turned it from a buzz worthy blog into the go to Election analysis source. Then they let ESPN buy it out from under them…

That’s great to hear. I’m not so good at keeping track of who bought what beyond cases that generate a lot of news because something went sideways.

The Times doesn’t buy a lot. And lately they’ve been selling everything. So it tends to be news when they pick something up from the outside. Or when they do something even remotely modern. Like acquire a well regarded website, or elevate some one’s side project blog to the digital equivalent of sanctified column status.

Oh cool. I look forward to seeing how the site does with the elevated status and resources.

I really do love The Wirecutter. It’s been my go-to for years now and I really hope that things go well moving forward.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.