Wikileaks hosting files from CIA director John Brennan's AOL account

[Read the post]

1 Like

I’m conflicted about whether stealing email from someone dumb enough to keep important stuff on AOL actually counts as hacking (ignoring the whole hacking/cracking pedantry).

9 Likes

He is not at stupid as he looks, really.

Especially the director of the fucking CIA!!!11!! Wow, I mean, just, wow! Trade-craft? What’s that? Durrr… I mean, did he wake up one morning, hit his head on a hooker and think, “Gosh, I’m the director of the CIA, nobody would think to look for me having a personal account on AOL! I a genius! Hidden in plain sight! Muahhah! In fact! This is even more brilliant than any of the sekret sekure systems we have in place officially! I’ll use it for the really sekret stuff too!”

Holy mother of god… I mean, Hillary could at least semi-plausibly plead ignorance, (though hell, even she wasn’t dumb enough to use an AOL account!). But geezess, this guy should already have been fired for gross incompetence. There should be papers flying around his office still from the vacuum left by security yanking him out so fast!

2 Likes

You are so right, his stupidity far exceeds anything capable of being expressed by human countenance.

6 Likes

bingo!

2 Likes

Hillary’s email server, if you do some poking around, at least looks like it was running a modern enterprise-grade secure email server. Still pure facepalm, but it’s not like it was running Exchange 2003.

Meanwhile, I met a senior security team lead from AOL at a rather good party in Vegas once. He was an idiot, and an asshole, in that order.

1 Like

What’s good for the goose…

Pretty sweet example of a security clearance form here:
https://wikileaks.org/cia-emails/John-Brennan-Draft-SF86/page-47.html

Also of note, and fairly damning, if not particularly surprising, is this missive to congress, written in the wake of the legislature politely requesting that they not go around torturing people, unless, you know, it’s really really important. :

Rather than authorizing intelligence agencies to use only those techniques that are *allowed* under the AFM, I believe the more prudent approach is to preclude the use of specific techniques that are *prohibited* under the AFM. In this way, the Congress can state clearly that certain harsh interrogation techniques will not be permissible. At the same time, this approach allows for the possibility that new techniqes that are not explicitly authorized in the AFM, but nevertheless comply with the law, may be developed in the future. This alternative ensures that our intelligence operators know the exact parameters of what is lawful, rather than forcing them to rely on and interpret a Manual that was written solely for military intelligence operations. [Italics in the original]

“At the same time, this approach allows for the possibility that new techniqes that are not explicitly authorized in the AFM, but nevertheless comply with the law, may be developed in the future.”

That is to say, we can find something suitably horrific that will comply with the letter of the law.

“This alternative ensures that our intelligence operators know the exact parameters of what is lawful, rather than forcing them to rely on and interpret a Manual that was written solely for military intelligence operations.” [Italics mine]

In other words, we have no intention of obeying the Geneva conventions, like those suckers doing military intelligence operations are required to.

3 Likes

I’ve heard Director of the CIA is always a political appointment. It’s the Deputy Director who knows spy stuff. Like Skinner on the X-Files.

1 Like

ok, here’s my latest project idea:

Wikileaks will host an unlimited amount of data for your of all sorts if it has been leaked in a matter related to company or governmental malfeasance.

So if you are a member of a governmental organization or a large corporation with enough power to control secret programs etc. and you want to host all of your families photos and videos online you might laboriously put those videos as attachments in all of your mails etc. on say issues regarding assassination or whatever - something that you know wikileaks would want to host or with our program give it directory of files you want hosted and your email account.

Our program will search through the email account and do a limited textual analysis to find emails most likely to contain ‘bad stuff’ attach some of the content to the email with a little text matching some templates you enter - for example it might be “here’s some more shots of Peg and the kids” in an email about enhanced interrogation techniques.

Then our program will leak all the emails with attachments to wikileaks who will then host the content!

This is basically the mvp idea of the product, there are all sorts of other things we can do with this concept.

now I know you’re wondering about how I plan to monetize. I’m sure that a plan as brilliant as this will basically monetize itself. so that’s no problem.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.