Wildbook: facial recognition for critters in the wild

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/24/sixth-mass-extinction.html

2 Likes

The Coalition of Species That Just Want to be Left Alone wishes to object to their privacy being invaded by Big Data. “What safeguards are in place to ensure that Wildbook’s data is not hacked by hunting groups,” asked the group’s spokesbeast, “and furthermore, are we the customers or the product of this new startup, These and other questions are not being answered to our satisfaction. We demand accountability, transparency, and a guarantee that our data will not shared without our permission and consent.”

8 Likes

A pair of Russian hackers have already launched apps on this service, to try and track down the personal data of a certain moose and squirrel.

8 Likes

A Pokedex?

4 Likes

As ever Capitalism has the answer, with these cool “Occupy Equestria” surveillance subverting garments.

4 Likes

Misuse by poachers in 10, 9, 8, …

1 Like

Hey, I’m doing computer vision for wildlife ecology too! Thanks for blogging about this, as I might not have heard about this project.

As a shameless plug, you folks should check out my thing HERE. It is an open hardware project for people to track nocturnal bird migration.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.