Will augmented reality be quite this unpleasant?

First, have you seen your mom’s / grandma’s web browser windows?

Second, it’s worth asking why it isn’t like that. It isn’t out of the generosity of the companies who are making those bars or the browser.

3 Likes

What they don’t show is every other person walking around like they are swatting flies away from their heads. And how are you supposed to play a game like that on a crowded subway without poking the guy in front of you?

4 Likes

In the story his ‘avatar’ is Jack the Ripper… Wait, maybe this isn’t such a good idea…

1 Like

Sure. No toolbars. And when Google and tool bars HAVE appeared, they’ve been quickly turned off / de-installed.

And…? Regardless of why, it isn’t like that. The same principles apply to AR.

1 Like

I’ve seen more than one browser like that, mind.

1 Like

We have ways.

1 Like

There are reasons to become a Luddite, this is just one of the multitude.

5 Likes

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDN’T someone write this concept into a book? The something of the Nerds? Gosh, I can’t remember the names of the authors… C something. Yeah, two guys who’s names began with a C.

MAN it’s right on the tip of my tongue.

Don’tcha just hate forgetting where ya read something?

I have seen actual browsers almost that bad. I think that some people believe that it makes them look like they know some bad-assed shit. Or something.

3 Likes

Well, sure. But its not even remotely common.

It’ll be the same with AR. Yes, something like the video will be possible. But it’ll be no more common than 10+ browser toolbars, and for the same reasons.

1 Like

Yeah, but fixing grandma’s browser so she can use the internet can wait til next Sunday when you’re definitelygoing over to see her, honest mom. Making sure she doesn’t get squashed by a bus because Facebook turned all her security settings to the defaults a-fucking-gain, so she’s basically on digital 2C-B till you’ve debugged her eyes for the third time this month is far worse.

1 Like

The rapture of the nerds charlie stross and cory doctorow.

I think we’re hitting a stage where technology is becoming so exhausting, cognitively, that increasing amounts of people will choose to get the fuck away from it. Tech types seem so utterly convinced that we’re ever-improvable machines. It’s the biggest delusion of modernity.

I recently deleted a bunch of online profiles and most of my information from Facebook, and the feeling of complete lightness was palpable.

2 Likes

Yes, Rainbows End by Vernor Vinge, six years before Rapture of the Nerds by Stross and Doctorow. Still probably wasn’t the first. /s

99% sure @endotoxin was being sarcastic.

Remind me of Denno Coil, a really good anime about VR.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.